No outrage over AJ's defense?!?!

Flacco Machado

Center fielder Adam Jones was asked yesterday about the botched rundown between first and second, when Markakis lobbed a throw over Steve Lombardozzi's head.

"Hey, I think mistakes are going to happen," he said. "As long as you made the mistakes aggressively, live with them. We live with our mistakes. We live with our success. You can't be high when you do good and be low when you do bad. You've got to be on an even keel.

"Mistakes do happen. Just got to try and prevent them and eliminate them."

I guess he could've gave the same answer if he was asked about the 2 fly balls to center yesterday.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Pitching

2. Cant work a count

3. Playing guys that cant hit their weight

4. Lack of Young playing time

5. Have a RF playing 1B

1. Bullpen hurt the chances of winning that game, Gonzo pitched pretty well I thought. Jones doesnt make the error and is playing a little deeper there goes 2 runs...

2. AGREED

3. AGREED

4. I do think Young should be getting more looks. Maybe at DH

5. I am not sure what you expect Buck to do here. But Flaherty at first? I think someone gets called up here quick who can play 1B from the minors, or a possible trade. Davis getting hurt sucks big time. Maybe put the blame on DD for not having an option at 1B who wouldnt look like a SIGNIFICANT drop off from Davis. Some drop off from Davis is going to happen.

And that is a fact. The sun for some reason plagues him during day games. But it happens. Just had a bad game. Jones is never hurt and basically is who he is at the plate. He also took a very team friendly deal to stay here. Notice that Hardy, Weiters and Davis wont do that.

And how do you know they won't?

I love threads with "wannabes" complaining about the field play of "ares."

(And yes, I am as guilty as anyone.)

Anything you can do, I can do better.

I can do anything, Better than you.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can, Yes, I can!

Ha!

AJ is the best CF this team has had since Brady. Enough said.

All these people that are so critical of him, I wonder if they are so perfect themselves?

Of course not. No one is. Some fans are more critical than others. I try to take AJ

as he is. Knowing that I could never do what he does even if i were healthy and as

young as he is.

Didn't see the game yesterday, but heard some of it including the drop on the radio. Later on I heard about the ball over Jonsey's head. My first reaction was, hey he had a bad day in the field... you don't see that very often out of him, maybe he was sick or something and still out there trying. Whatever the reason, over the long run if Adam finishes career in Baltimore, someday I'll probably take my grandkids' pictures in front of his statue. *throws 2 pennies*

Didn't see the game yesterday, but heard some of it including the drop on the radio. Later on I heard about the ball over Jonsey's head. My first reaction was, hey he had a bad day in the field... you don't see that very often out of him, maybe he was sick or something and still out there trying. Whatever the reason, over the long run if Adam finishes career in Baltimore, someday I'll probably take my grandkids' pictures in front of his statue. *throws 2 pennies*

Balls do get over his head more than other centerfielders ... which is pretty much the point. I doubt he's been sick for the last 4-5 years.

He needs to get in the Baseball HOF to get a statue! I don't know!

According to the FB +-, on average 15 more balls over his head per year than an average CF, the past 6 years.

This is pretty much the main reason the defensive metrics hate him... he turns a lot of fly ball outs for other CFs into doubles. I'm not sure if its his fault with reaction times or if its just bad positioning by the coaches, but its a consistent issue he has every year.

This is pretty much the main reason the defensive metrics hate him... he turns a lot of fly ball outs for other CFs into doubles. I'm not sure if its his fault with reaction times or if its just bad positioning by the coaches, but its a consistent issue he has every year.
It's pretty clear he plays too shallow. His shallow numbers are above average, his medium numbers below average, and his deep numbers way below average.

Archived