Zach Davies getting it together

Frobby

And 116 innings is the standard. This season, it's 1.615; the year before, it was 1.356. That's why I need more convincing.

His hits allowed per 9 and HR per 9 have decreased and his K per 9 have increased as he's moved up the ladder. Last year his walkr ate dropped as well. The only out of the ordinary stat he has is walks per 9 this year and I expect that to drop measureably.

I'd be concerned if he K rate dropped and his hits and walks rate had gone up, but really it's just walks, partly skewwed by a career high last night. You may need more convincing, but if you are basing it on his out of character walk rate so far this year I think you should look at the whole picture and not just rely on one stat.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And 116 innings is the standard. This season, it's 1.615; the year before, it was 1.356. That's why I need more convincing.

I think that's fine. Davies has only made 4 starts, one of which was interrupted when a batted ball struck him in the elbow, so the sample is very small and we'll see how he does the rest of the season. But I don't expect him to be a guy who walks a lot of batters this year, as command is his strong suit.

What WHIP number would convince you? You said he had too many baserunners. Is a 1.23 WHIP too high for you?

Folks are bragging about his performance this year, and this year he has a very high WHIP. I just said I need more convincing - for the third time - let's make it the last time. I'm not saying it's an end-all and be-all stat, but it is a very important stat. If he gets back to 1.23, that would do a lot of convincing.

Folks are bragging about his performance this year, and this year he has a very high WHIP. I just said I need more convincing - for the third time - let's make it the last time. I'm not saying it's an end-all and be-all stat, but it is a very important stat. If he gets back to 1.23, that would do a lot of convincing.

And people are trying to tell you not to get all caught up in a one stat that is skewwed by an uncharacteristic walk rate when all his other main factors (K/9 rate, H/9 rate, HR/9 Rate, ERA) are just fine.

I don't think folks really are bragging about his performance this year. He had a nice start this week, and his ERA is coming down. Davies hasn't pitched enough yet for anyone to do any bragging.

April 06: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K's.

April 12: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K. (Davies was removed from the game after being hit on the elbow, and also missed his next start.)

April 23: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K's.

April 28: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 10 K's.

Honestly, there's not enough there for anyone to be bragging about how Davies has done. One very good, start, one decent one, one bad one, and one cut short by injury that didn't start very well. I think we all agree that Davies will need to lower his BB/9 (and therefore his WHIP) from what he has done so far this year to have a successful season.

And people are trying to tell you not to get all caught up in a one stat that is skewwed by an uncharacteristic walk rate when all his other main factors (K/9 rate, H/9 rate, HR/9 Rate, ERA) are just fine.

Again... it's not an end all and be all stat, but it's very important, imo. Replying to people's comments doesn't mean I'm all caught up in it. I'm just taking a wait and see approach. But feel free to continue to over-analyze my comments.

I don't think folks really are bragging about his performance this year. He had a nice start this week, and his ERA is coming down. Davies hasn't pitched enough yet for anyone to do any bragging.

April 06: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K's.

April 12: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K. (Davies was removed from the game after being hit on the elbow, and also missed his next start.)

April 23: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K's.

April 28: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 10 K's.

Honestly, there's not enough there for anyone to be bragging about how Davies has done. One very good, start, one decent one, one bad one, and one cut short by injury that didn't start very well. I think we all agree that Davies will need to lower his BB/9 (and therefore his WHIP) from what he has done so far this year to have a successful season.

Fair enough - I concur with your conclusion.

• 1 month later...
http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/4468/2013-number-7-prospect-zach-davies

Basically the same stuff as last year though his breaking ball may not have been as good earlier this year.

Thanks Tony.

This guy is sizzling. Any chance his secondaries have gotten better since last year, or perhaps his fastball is a tick higher? His strikeouts seems to be increasing.

• 2 weeks later...

o

7 shutout innings.

Of the 7 hits that he ceded, 6 were singles (1 double.)

Excellent strikes-to-balls ratio (70 Strikes, 28 Balls.)

The game was a scoreless tie until his teammates finally pushed across a run in the bottom of the 7th inning.

21 OUTS: 7 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Lineouts (Including 1 Double Play)

ZACHARY RYAN DAVIES O (vs. AA-Richmond, 7/12)

IP:. 7

H:o 7 (1 Double, 6 Singles)

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 98 (70 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2014 ERA: 3.57 (AA-Bowie)

PITCHES BY INNING

19 (14 Strikes, 5 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)