vs. PIRATES, 5/01 (Game Two)

OFFNY

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I admire the fact that you took the high road by starting this thread.   And if I’d been in a handshake line, I’d have shaken their hands and said congratulations, because that’s the classy and sportsmanlike thing to do.  But in my heart, I would have been cursing myself for playing so poorly.   Earlier in the year, when the O’s and Yankees were on top of their game, I had a little argument with @HowAboutThat.   I said if the O’s won 105 games (which they were on pace to do at that point) but lost the division to the Yankees, I wouldn’t be disappointed with our regular season. He disagreed, saying the goal was to win the division and anything less would be a disappointment no matter what.  Well, it academic now.  We didn’t win 105 games.  We didn’t win 100, or 95.   We may or may not win 90, depending on how the weekend goes.   And for the record, I didn’t expect we’d win 105, even when we were on pace to do so.   But I expected a lot more wins than we will and up with.   If we’d played well but the Yankees just outplayed us, I’d be congratulating them, but my dominant feeling right now is disappointment with how we’ve played.   Oh well.  Lick our wounds, pick ourselves up, and on to the playoffs, where I hope some of that disappointment can be erased and superseded.    
    • How often is a good bullpen built any other way? The Guardians have the best bullpen and their key pieces are: - Emmanuel Clase: acquired through the Corey Kluber trade before he had proven himself. He was never a top prospect: MLB had him as Cleveland's 21st best prospect in 2020, Fangraphs had him as their 15th best. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2020/guardians/ https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-46-prospects-cleveland-indians/ - Cade Smith: rookie with a 4.65 ERA in AAA last year. 1.94 ERA this year. Fangraphs had him as the team's 27th best prospect coming into the year. - Hunter Gaddis: 4.50 ERA in MLB and 6.05 ERA in AAA last year. Converted to a reliever with a 1.59 ERA this year. - Tim Herrin: 5.53 ERA last year. 1.95 ERA this year. The Orioles had one of the best bullpens in 2022 and it was anchored by Jorge Lopez, Felix Bautista, Cionel Perez, all of whom you could count as dumpster diving.
    • And the great Daniel Jones. Lol. Minshew has gotten them in back to back years. Watson got them last year after being down 31-17 and of course the Steelers got them last year after being down double digits. There is more but it escapes me. 
    • And Buffalo is one of the many teams that they failed to finished against the last few years that this has been going on. 2 years ago they blew a 20- 3 to them. Crazy to think we are still talking about this team's troubles with finishing games. 
    • And the other thing is I had no false illusions of catching the Yankees but after winning the first 2 I was really hoping they somehow could had swept them and avoided the Yankees clinching the division at their expense.  That game tonight  was reminiscent of the past few months.  Bad BP, bad hitting. 
    • Well we can talk about pitching matchups all we want but this team has shown time and again offensively they can make anyone's pitcher look great and this BP can make any team's offense look great. Now I  know everyone thinks I'm the most negative person on this board and maybe I am but I also have said many times the Orioles are really good at avoiding sweeps and I think once again they will  prove this and get at least one win in this series to lock up the 4 seed. 
    • This right here. I agree with Frobby.  Baltimore lost it more than NY won it. 
  • Popular Contributors