Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

Ok. So far, this season, Bud looks like he can pitch more effectively as a starter than Wei Chen. For the same money.

True about the money, but Chen will be much cheaper than Norris next year, most likely.

By the way, I'm hopeful Norris can sustain the level of pitching he has given us this year, even though he's doing a little better than his career numbers. But I also think Chen is capable of doing better than he's done so far this season.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of thoughts here. First, yes I trust PitchFX data over the MASN gun, it isn't particularly close.

Second, looking at Santana's velocity data, he averaged 89.49 in 2012 and was quite effective for the first half of the season. Interestingly, his only month averaging 90 in 2012 was August, long after he had lost effectiveness.

Odd to see you say that it sounds like he has progressed to mid 80s when the reports show him at 88-89. Not sure how that is mid 80s. He was effective in 2012 at around 89 and in 2010 when he averaged 90.34. He doesn't need to really exceed 90 to be effective, it sounds like he is pretty close to contributing to me.

Are yoy suggesting that masns gun isnt close to pitchfx velocity numbers? If so then thats flat out wrong considering pitchfx has tillmans avg fastball velocity at 90.6. Which is pretty much dead smack in the middle of what everyone is seeing on masn(89-91mph)

Are yoy suggesting that masns gun isnt close to pitchfx velocity numbers? If so then thats flat out wrong considering pitchfx has tillmans avg fastball velocity at 90.6. Which is pretty much dead smack in the middle of what everyone is seeing on masn(89-91mph)

Click on the link I posted. I'm not sure where the 90.6 comes from but my guess is that it is combining four-seamers with other pitches. His four-seamer is averaging 92. That is his fastball. Also, 90.6 isn't dead smack in the middle of 89-91.

Guest rochester

If he stays in the 88-89 area (with movement), throws a change almost 15 less, nice slider and has the control he has shown he may end up being the most valuable FA pick-up this year - the dynamics of the entire staff change a bit... and IMO that's saying a lot (Cruz).

Ok. So far, this season, Bud looks like he can pitch more effectively as a starter than Wei Chen. For the same money.
So far this season Nick Markakis looks like he can hit more effectively than Adam Jones, though that has rarely been the case in the past.

When can we expect to see Santana get real game action, like @ AA or AAA as part of his rehab?

His next start will be 3 innings at extended ST and they're going to keep him on a 5-man schedule. I would expect them to work him up to 5-6 innings there before he goes on a rehab assignment. I'd estimate about 20-30 days from now (assuming no setbacks, of course).

So far this season Nick Markakis looks like he can hit more effectively than Adam Jones, though that has rarely been the case in the past.

I would say, "recent" past.

2008: Markakis .392 wOBA, Jones .312

2009: Markakis .349 wOBA, Jones .343

2010: Markakis .353 wOBA, Jones .336

2011: Markakis .333 wOBA, Jones .338

2012: Markakis .359 wOBA, Jones .361

2013: Markakis .304 wOBA, Jones .350

His next start will be 3 innings at extended ST and they're going to keep him on a 5-man schedule. I would expect them to work him up to 5-6 innings there before he goes on a rehab assignment. I'd estimate about 20-30 days from now (assuming no setbacks, of course).

Thanks, good information to know.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana's fastball averaged 88 mph yesterday in extended spring start. Good separation with changeup around 76.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

88 is very encouraging. Of course this was more of an approximation of a relief appearance then a start.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana's fastball averaged 88 mph yesterday in extended spring start. Good separation with changeup around 76.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

88 is very encouraging. Of course this was more of an approximation of a relief appearance then a start.

AVERAGED 88 M.P.H.

When Santana first started throwing in late February, he was TOPPING OUT at 80-81.

Not bad at all, in the span of a little over 2 months. :cool:

I would be giddy if Santana got called up to the majors and gave us a good performance. I loved watching him pitch back when he was dominant, and even if he never reaches that level again (which he probably won't), I bet he'll be fun to watch, in the way that post-surgery Frank Tanana was fun to watch.

I would be giddy if Santana got called up to the majors and gave us a good performance. I loved watching him pitch back when he was dominant, and even if he never reaches that level again (which he probably won't), I bet he'll be fun to watch, in the way that post-surgery Frank Tanana was fun to watch.

I'd be giddy to watch an Orioles starter consistently throw the ball within 3-4 inches of his intended target. "Wild in the Zone" could be the starting staff's theme music this season, IMO.

Archived