Johan Santana topping out at 87mph in simulated game

xian4

AVERAGED 88 M.P.H.

When Santana first started throwing in late February, he was TOPPING OUT at 80-81.

Not bad at all, in the span of a little over 2 months. :cool:

At this rate, he will be hitting 97 in time for the playoffs.

Yep.

And 103 M.P.H. by Opening Day of 2015 (Duquette will re-sign him.)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Santana was in extended spring training in Florida, and he had pitched off a mound some. What's the latest news on him and when will he start a minor league assignment.

Latest that I have seen elsewhere.....

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/05/notes-on-mcfarland-davis-gausman-santana-and-bundy.html

Showalter was impressed with veteran left-hander Johan Santana, who threw 28 pitches in two innings yesterday in his first extended spring training game. Santana's fastball averaged 88 mph and provided nice separation from a changeup clocked around 76 mph.

"Self-serving, I said, 'Maybe he's a little juiced up because I'm here,' but then I found out it's the first time that he's faced guys in another uniform with an umpire, guys in a batter's box," Showalter said.

"Regardless of whether he pitches for us, he's been such a great influence over there. I mean, he's riding herd on those guys, saying the right things. That's exciting.

"The changeup is always there when he wants it. He threw three straight fastballs on the hit that he gave up. Afterward, he goes, 'That would have been too easy. I needed to throw another fastball there.' "

Showalter said Santana's velocity was very similar to his no-hitter for the Mets on June 1, 2012.

"He feels good today, too. That was good to see," Showalter said.

Santana will start another extended spring game on Saturday.

Also....

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-05-05/sports/bal-johan-santanas-velocity-encouraging-in-his-first-extended-spring-game-outing-20140505_1_velocity-shoulder-surgery-orioles-manager-buck-showalter

And.....

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/2014/05/orioles-johan-santana-shoulder-capsule_2813.html#.U2-HzfldVWI

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana threw 51 pitches in 2 1/3 innings yesterday in his 2nd extended spring training start. Fastball down a little. 84-88 mph</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johan Santana threw 51 pitches in 2 1/3 innings yesterday in his 2nd extended spring training start. Fastball down a little. 84-88 mph</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder if the velocity decreased as the pitch count mounted or if it was consistent?

I'm not worried about his velocity at all. Even if it stays 85. With gausman and Britton candidates to jump into to the rotation we need bullpen arms as much as starters in the next month. Santana would exceed my expectations if he can just be a 5-7th inning guy out of the pen.

I'm actually encouraged if 84 mph was the lower limit. He's getting close. Heck, Chris Tillman dips down to 88-89.

My thoughts exactly. When he was signed I was thinking he'd have a shot if he could crack mid-80s and mix in the change. I assumed the 87-88 reports were exaggerated, but if he "dipped" to 84-88 he may have enough to pitch successfully in MLB this season. We'll have to see how deep he can get into games, though.

o

FEBRUARY 25th: (Santana Topping out at 81 M.P.H.)

Let's get him !!!

It's late February, and he's just coming back from surgery/injury. By early July, he could be throwing somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 M.P.H. Send him to AAA-Norfolk for a couple of months, and if he is pitching well down there, bring him up to the major league club in late August or early September.

If he isn't pitching really well in AAA-Norfolk, don't bring him up. Keep him there until the Tides' season is over, and we will have a good chance to have first dibs on him for 2015 (considering the fact that we will have given him a chance at all with our organization in 2014, and that we will have been "playing ball" with his comeback and his career.) Sometimes pitchers coming back from surgery take more than a year to completely rebound (the ones that do rebound.)

Duquette and his people have had excellent judgement for that last couple of years.

In 2012, Duquette signed a pitcher who had previously never pitched in the majors (Miguel Gonzalez), and he wound up being one of our best and most consistent starters over the last 2 seasons (2012 and 2013.)

A few months later, Jamie Moyer was pitching outstanding at AAA-Norfolk. In 3 outings, he threw 16 innings, gave up 1 earned run, walked 0, struck out 16, and had a W.H.I.P. of 0.688. Duquette released him (much to my puzzlement.) The Blue Jays picked Moyer up, he was bombed in two outings for their AAA affiliate, the Blue Jays released him, and I was no longer puzzled about why Duquette released him.

Now, we have a chance to snatch up a former two-time Cy Young Award winner that pitched the only no-hitter in Mets franchise history (1962-Present) on the cheap.

Do it, Dan. You/we have everything to gain, and almost nothing to lose by signing him to a minor league contract.

APRIL 24th (Santana Topping out at 84 M.P.H.)

Two months ago when Santana was topping out at 81 MP.H., I stated that I thought that Santana could VERY GRADUALLY increase his velocity ....... that perhaps by July, he could be in the neighborhood of 90 M.P.H., and that he could be pitching fairly well for AAA-Norfolk by then.

If Santana is sitting at 84 M.P.H. right now (late April), that is very encouraging to me. When it comes to pitchers making comebacks to major surgery on their arms, I am very optimistic BUT ALSO VERY CONSERVATIVE in terms of the time frames that it would take for them to get back completely (or almost completely) to the pitchers that they once were.

Again, I won't be completely disappointed if Santana is pitching decently at the AAA-level by late June/early July, is pitching very well at that (AAA) level by the end of their (the Tides) season, and isn't ready to pitch effectively in the majors until the start of next season ...... assuming that we have a good shot at resigning him when this season (and his current contract) expires.

I think that we do, and I can't imagine that Duquette didn't AT LEAST run it by Santana (the notion of Santana essentially rehabbing this season, and subsequently re-signing with the Orioles in 2015) when we signed him in February.

MAY 1st:

Santana is topping out at 87 M.P.H. :boogie: :clap3:

MAY 16th:

In his 3rd simulated extended Spring Training start, Santana topped out at 88 M.P.H.

Good separation between his fastball and his change-up.

He threw 51 pitches over 2.67 innings pitched.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch

Archived