Time for umps to be replaced.

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Figuring out what the strike zone is and using it to your advantage is one of the great strategies of baseball. Without that dynamic the game would be stale. Without that dynamic we would have never had a great player like Greg Maddux.

I hear you. But when the umps call strike three on.a obvious.ball, there is a problem. And.it.happens alot.

I blame the ump for Flaherty striking out and Weeks DP also.

Next year they will allow managers to challenge strikeouts.

Not to mention...what about when a ump has a consistant strike zone all game long. Then decides to make it bigger or smaller later in the game. That's not fair for hitters who have been trying to figure out the strike zone. They finally think they got it, then boom, a pitch at the ankles becomes a strike.

Figuring out what the strike zone is and using it to your advantage is one of the great strategies of baseball. Without that dynamic the game would be stale. Without that dynamic we would have never had a great player like Greg Maddux.

Sure you would. Maddux could put the ball wherever he wanted to put it. If he knew EXACTLY what the strike zone would be on a given player, he merely would have dotted the black in every quadrant.

I'd rather have a consistent boundary and let the players dictate the calls rather than an ump. But I embrace new technology more so than the average guy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I hear you. But when the umps call strike three on.a obvious.ball, there is a problem. And.it.happens alot.

I blame the ump for Flaherty striking out and Weeks DP also.

Next year they will allow managers to challenge strikeouts.

Not to mention...what about when a ump has a consistant strike zone all game long. Then decides to make it bigger or smaller later in the game. That's not fair for hitters who have been trying to figure out the strike zone. They finally think they got it, then boom, a pitch at the ankles becomes a strike.

Things have a way of working out. Just the way the game is. There are bad calls

made on every team.

What he said.

Maybe I have a strong opinion on this because I used to officiate intramural sports in college, but I believe the participants and their actions should determine the outcome of contests, and not the imperfect interpretations of umpires and referees.

A perfect example was a game against the Skankees at home a few years ago (2011 maybe?). Koji was closing it, bottom of the ninth, 2 outs, O's up by 2, Yankees with 2 baserunners on. On a 2 strike count, Koji painted the black on the outside corner halfway between the knees and belt. SAME EXACT PITCH to the millimeter called a strike and never a ball at least 10 previous times that day. Strike 3 and game over, right? WRONG. It's magically a ball for the first time today. Next pitch was hit over the wall and the Skanks steal a win on a blown umpire call.

We won that game but had it taken away by "the human element." THAT is why, when ever technologically feasible, we should remove human judgment from the process; the PLAYERS should ALWAYS determine the outcome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Maybe I have a strong opinion on this because I used to officiate intramural sports in college, but I believe the participants and their actions should determine the outcome of contests, and not the imperfect interpretations of umpires and referees.

A perfect example was a game against the Skankees at home a few years ago (2011 maybe?). Koji was closing it, bottom of the ninth, 2 outs, O's up by 2, Yankees with 2 baserunners on. On a 2 strike count, Koji painted the black on the outside corner halfway between the knees and belt. SAME EXACT PITCH to the millimeter called a strike and never a ball at least 10 previous times that day. Strike 3 and game over, right? WRONG. It's magically a ball for the first time today. Next pitch was hit over the wall and the Skanks steal a win on a blown umpire call.

We won that game but had it taken away by "the human element." THAT is why, when ever technologically feasible, we should remove human judgment from the process; the PLAYERS should ALWAYS determine the outcome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. I am so sick of these diva umps and their designer strike zones. Imagine if they actually called this:

zone.gif

Archived