Time for umps to be replaced.

PA724_Oriole

I will say that replacing the umps in the second game of last night would have been a shame.

I really enjoyed the home plate guy's (Tom Hallion) strike out moves.

HallionCall2.gif

Ha, this. I hated Hallion's zone but I loved how animated his punch out was and he did it quite a bit last night as I believe fourteen Pirates struck out. Honestly, I like the

uniqueness of every umpire having his own unique strike zone. At the same time, it

can be very frustrating I concede.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Joe Angel say last night that Pat Hoberg, the home plate ump in game 1, was on loan from the PCL. He got his ML baptism when Buck challenged his HBP call early in the game and it was overturned. The sketchy strike zone in game 1 may have been normal for the Pacific Coast League.

Ha, this. I hated Hallion's zone but I loved how animated his punch out was and he did it quite a bit last night as I believe fourteen Pirates struck out. Honestly, I like the

uniqueness of every umpire having his own unique strike zone. At the same time, it

can be very frustrating I concede.

That's the problem. This guy thinks he's there to entertain. He should be paying more attention to his job rather than his "performance".

Ill admit I did make this thread based off emotion.

I was heated when Flaherty struck out looking on a ball. Then a horrible strike two call on weeks turns him into a a protector of the plate which led to a DP abs the inning ending.

I dont think Umps will ever be kicked out of baseball at any level. But there has to be a strike zone that all umps stick by and suffer consequences if they make numerous errors in their judgments of balls and strikes.

Couldn't agree more. I am so sick of these diva umps and their designer strike zones. Imagine if they actually called this:

zone.gif

That's how it should be.

Hitters shouldnt have to adjust their game to the umps. The umps have to adjust to calling the game fair. Not saying they weren't being fair on purpose, but that is the result.

And I'm not meaning fair as in team by team, but player by player.

Ill admit I did make this thread based off emotion.

I was heated when Flaherty struck out looking on a ball. Then a horrible strike two call on weeks turns him into a a protector of the plate which led to a DP abs the inning ending.

I dont think Umps will ever be kicked out of baseball at any level. But there has to be a strike zone that all umps stick by and suffer consequences if they make numerous errors in their judgments of balls and strikes.

I can remember watching baseball as a boy and my dad yelling at the umpire for his strike zone, dont remember the extract date or time frame, but it was in the early 60's.

I would have no problem with umpires strike zones, and I wouldn't need to have instant replay, if I could watch most of the games live. That's how it used to be back in the day. But I only get to go to 3-4 G live, and have to watch the rest on TV. That's where I have to see these bozo umpires screwing up the game, and it makes me crazy.

It's so darn hard for the human eye to read where a ball moving that quickly at different angles passes an object on the ground.

I've never done it, but I would guess you'd have to not look more than actually trying to look. As if your eyes were fixated in front of batters box in a glazed sort of way to just read the blur.

You know who does these types of things with precision? Robots. Hell, keep the umpire but give him an earpiece that has 3 sounds - depending on whether the ball crosses the plate, misses the plate, or gets foul tipped. That way they can stand there and rule on plays at the plate and still keep their dramatic strike out moves.

I've never done it, but I would guess you'd have to not look more than actually trying to look. As if your eyes were fixated in front of batters box in a glazed sort of way to just read the blur.

You know who does these types of things with precision? Robots. Hell, keep the umpire but give him an earpiece that has 3 sounds - depending on whether the ball crosses the plate, misses the plate, or gets foul tipped. That way they can stand there and rule on plays at the plate and still keep their dramatic strike out moves.

Perfect! Let's get this set up MLB!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

They don't need to replace umps. I bet that at some point, they make them wear Google Glasses or something and the HuD will show them the pitch coming in like pitch track does. Google, in turn, will continue to take over the world. Obviously its very early for Glass, but here's an App for MLB. I'm sure they could do something for the ball/strikes for the umps. The uses are endless.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nIVieBzP3gk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm pretty sure Game 1 ended on a pretty bad strike 3 that benefited the Orioles, so there's that. It usually shakes itself out. Its when certain teams/players get a special zone and its inconsistent that I have a problem. If the ump is consistent, then it's just how the game has been played for decades now.

Archived