Time for umps to be replaced.

PA724_Oriole

I'm pretty sure Game 1 ended on a pretty bad strike 3 that benefited the Orioles, so there's that. It usually shakes itself out. Its when certain teams/players get a special zone and its inconsistent that I have a problem. If the ump is consistent, then it's just how the game has been played for decades now.
The game has not been played under the scrutiny of slo-mo replay and pitch fx for decades.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The game has not been played under the scrutiny of slo-mo replay and pitch fx for decades.

My point is that variable zones have been a part of the game for decades, and the players have adjusted. All of a sudden we get snazzy jazzy technology showing were all those pitches are going, and everyone is all "we want a perfectly consistent strike zone all the time." I mean, I get it, but it does sterilize the game some, and take some game to game strategy out.

Meh, it's going to be an argument no matter what, any decision about strike zones and machine involvement in any way will upset one side or the other.

I'm pretty sure Game 1 ended on a pretty bad strike 3 that benefited the Orioles, so there's that. It usually shakes itself out. Its when certain teams/players get a special zone and its inconsistent that I have a problem. If the ump is consistent, then it's just how the game has been played for decades now.

FWIW, the graphic on screen showing the strike zone at the time had it as a strike.

My point is that variable zones have been a part of the game for decades, and the players have adjusted. All of a sudden we get snazzy jazzy technology showing were all those pitches are going, and everyone is all "we want a perfectly consistent strike zone all the time." I mean, I get it, but it does sterilize the game some, and take some game to game strategy out.

Meh, it's going to be an argument no matter what, any decision about strike zones and machine involvement in any way will upset one side or the other.

As I said, if the way I followed baseball was by going to games, listening to the radio, or reading about it in the sports pages, I wouldn't care, because I couldn't tell how bad the umps were. But now because I can see it, I don't like ignoring it just because that's how it's always been.

As I said, if the way I followed baseball was by going to games, listening to the radio, or reading about it in the sports pages, I wouldn't care, because I couldn't tell how bad the umps were. But now because I can see it, I don't like ignoring it just because that's how it's always been.

Okay, but because that's how its always been now its now incorporated in to the very fabric of the game. Which is why there's going to always be a schism between the two schools of thought.

El Gordo has made some great posts in this thread and I have nothing important to add he didn't already say.

Umpires are human? Ever eat with one?

This is funny to me. I had dinner with a physicist who moonlighted as an umpire in indie ball. He was a good guy but he told me that if the catcher had to make any significant movement to catch a pitch, it was a ball. Didn't matter if it was in the strike zone, the pitcher "didn't do his job." Verbatim. On my mother's life I had this conversation. I was pretty angry, actually.

Umpires should never editorialize. A lot of them do.

And if a consistent strike zone means Greg Maddux doesn't have such a great career, then to hell with Greg Maddux.

That's the problem. This guy thinks he's there to entertain. He should be paying more attention to his job rather than his "performance".

I agree, This guy was showing up Major league hitters with that BS. I want to watch the players play, not some "signature" move from an ump.

He's a clown IMO, who probably could not hit his way out of a wet paper bag when/if he played.

Archived