o

3 OUTS: ) 2 Flyouts, 1 Groundout 

BRAD BRACH )))))))) (vs. ANGELS, 6/30)

IP:lll1

H:llll ) l

R:llll  0

BB:lll0

SO:ll0

Pitches: l) 17  )(10 )Strikes, )3)Balls)

2018 ERA: l)  3.62  )  32.33 IP  (13 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.670  )  32.33 IP  (54 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .278  )(37 for 133)

PITCHES BY INNING  

17  lll(10 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

o

• 2 weeks later...

Don't we hate seeing a pitcher get lit up when we are trying to trade him? He's heard the rumors and I guess doesn't want to be traded. This happens year after year with the Orioles as they approach the trade deadline. He is better than this.

Just another brick in the wall for the anecdote that relievers burn bright and die fast.

He was ridden hard and a big part of successful teams from '14 to '16, and pushed past his redline when Britton was away early last year.  I think that guy is gone.

14-17 he pitched 288 innings of 2.74 ERA.  A starter that could do that would make $30M/year.  His career earnings are $11M and he's probably going to have to fight tooth and nail against fresh arms 8 years younger for a job next year.  It'll be interesting see if he or Jones has the rougher go.

Teams are right to shorten starter workloads and use relievers in waves, but the MLBPA can't love that guys like Brach's excellence can get all used up before they get a bite at the apple.

4 hours ago, section18 said:

Don't we hate seeing a pitcher get lit up when we are trying to trade him ??? He's heard the rumors, and I guess he doesn't want to be traded. This happens year after year with the Orioles as they approach the trade deadline. He is better than this.

o

I hate seeing Oriole pitchers get lit up under any circumstances.

o

I agree !

Why do the better pitchers suddenly stop pitching well and why do the better hitter stop hitting for a week and then start hitting again?

The players make so much money they can afford to go 0 for 25 or give up 5 runs in an inning if they are worried about moving to another city halfway through the season.  Just wait to the deadline is over and you'll see how some of the trade bait guys will improve and play better.  I wish I kept a list of the players who fit this description the last 20 years.  They either slump or suddenly have a hamstring problem or some type of arm ailment. It's not a coincidence.

1 hour ago, section18 said:

I agree !

Why do the better pitchers suddenly stop pitching well and why do the better hitter stop hitting for a week and then start hitting again?

The players make so much money they can afford to go 0 for 25 or give up 5 runs in an inning if they are worried about moving to another city halfway through the season.  Just wait to the deadline is over and you'll see how some of the trade bait guys will improve and play better.  I wish I kept a list of the players who fit this description the last 20 years.  They either slump or suddenly have a hamstring problem or some type of arm ailment. It's not a coincidence.

162 game season. Just goes to show you how much of the games is mental. Winning breezes success, hides little injuries. Heck, maybe big injuries. This team was locked in mentally from 2012 until September or 2017. We’re having a let down. Plus everyone is on one year deals. 

It’s hard going out there and losing in front of the hundreds of fans at the games. 

The sad part is most of us now accept their losing as being normal.  I've been to a couple of the day games during the week, when attendance is announced at 14,000 or so and there are less than 6000 people in the seats.  This will get worse as the season drags on unless trades are made to bring in some young and hungry players who hit for average and have speed to steal bases and go from first to third on singles. Trade them now before they get injured. They will save millions of dollars in salaries moving them now.

Archived