Time to give another starter a chance

FanSince88

Also, here are the AL league leaders in pitches per inning.

1. Ubaldo Jimenez 18.2

2. Miguel Gonzalez 18.1

3. John Danks 18.0

4. Hector Santiago 17.8

5. Wei-Yin Chen 17.7

6. Chris Tillman 17.6

So four or our pitchers are in the top six. This is not a sustainable pattern for having a successful season. Because it's not like the extra work the bullpen is doing is saving our starters. Our starters are being pushed to the limit just to get through five innings. If the Orioles have four starters in the top six in the league in pitches per inning at the end of the season, we're not playing in October.

We're just not getting value per pitch thrown.

You are right. We should have traded for Verlander. And we should have kept Feldman.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, here are the AL league leaders in pitches per inning.

1. Ubaldo Jimenez 18.2

2. Miguel Gonzalez 18.1

3. John Danks 18.0

4. Hector Santiago 17.8

5. Wei-Yin Chen 17.7

6. Chris Tillman 17.6

So four or our pitchers are in the top six. This is not a sustainable pattern for having a successful season. Because it's not like the extra work the bullpen is doing is saving our starters. Our starters are being pushed to the limit just to get through five innings. If the Orioles have four starters in the top six in the league in pitches per inning at the end of the season, we're not playing in October.

We're just not getting value per pitch thrown.

Now this, I agree with. Those averages have to come down in order to improve IP/start.

I don't think this team can get to the playoffs being average in innings per start. You are right, if your goal is to finish .500, then being seventh is fine.

Yep, thanks for putting words in my mouth. And of course they could make it to the playoffs being average in innings per start. Playoff teams are above average in many categories, and below average in a few categories. Last year Tampa was 10th in the AL and Cleveland was 12th and they played each other in the Wild Card game (the Orioles were 11th). While I hope the Orioles improve (and I think they will), the sky ain't falling.

Just wondering. How predictive are the numbers from the first 5 starts in a season, for most pitchers?

Gordo, I agree.

You know if Tilly was 5-0 in 5 starts and 5 quality starts, and you said Cy Young Nominee for 2104, everybody would cry SSS.

You are right. We should have traded for Verlander. And we should have kept Feldman.

Scott is on the dl, but scheduled to come off and pitch in Baltimore on Friday. NOBODY saw Feldman starting out this well, so it's easy to regret not resigning him. Although Scott is pitched well before going on the dl, it was only over 26 innings. I still don't think he would be any improvement (over the course of a full season) than Chen/Norris/Gonzales. And let's not forget Morse, there's another whodathunkit player.

Scott is on the dl, but scheduled to come off and pitch on in Baltimore on Friday. NOBODY saw Feldman starting out this well, so it's easy to regret not resigning him. Although Scott is pitched well before going on the dl, it was only over 26 innings. I still don't think he would be any improvement (over the course of a full season) than Chen/Norris/Gonzales. And let's not forget Morse, there's another whodathunkit player.

The FO wanted to resign Scott, and Buck was in agreement, but they were also in agreement not for three years.

Not with the young arms coming up, there wasn't a need for 3 years.

And when you talk about whodathunkit players this season, don't forget the Sheriff.

I'm not sure there is any way to quantify this, but how much of an effect does Matt Wieters have on pitch count? In my opinion, which is worth nothing, Wieters doesn't call a great game or present great targets for the pitchers. Many on here have referred to Matt's "lazy" glove before. How much does all this factor into pitch count?

I'll look it up later, but I am curious how many pitches the starters are throwing when Clevenger is catching?

2013 after 6 GS:Tillman 5.7 IP/GS, Chen 6 IP/GS, Gonzo 5.8IP/GS, Ubaldo 4.8 IP/GS, Norris(5 GS) 4.8 IP/GS

2014 after 6 GS: Tillman 6 IP/GS, Chen 5.6 IP/GS, Gonzo 5.3 IP/GS, Ubaldo 5.6 IP/GS, Norris(5GS) 5.93. Actually as a group they are a little better this year after the same # of GS: 5.6 IP/GS to 5.4 IP/GS.

I don't think this team can get to the playoffs being average in innings per start. You are right, if your goal is to finish .500, then being seventh is fine.

The Orioles average 5.7 innings/start. The league-leading Angels average 6.2. You really think two outs per start are the difference between 95 wins and 81?

The Orioles average 5.7 innings/start. The league-leading Angels average 6.2. You really think two outs per start are the difference between 95 wins and 81?

Quite possibly, yes. And of course a team can get to the playoffs with an average performance in innings per start. But I don't think this team can. And if the starters keep leading the league in pitches per inning, we're not going to be seventh in innings per start by the end of the season.

Yep, thanks for putting words in my mouth. And of course they could make it to the playoffs being average in innings per start. Playoff teams are above average in many categories, and below average in a few categories. Last year Tampa was 10th in the AL and Cleveland was 12th and they played each other in the Wild Card game (the Orioles were 11th). While I hope the Orioles improve (and I think they will), the sky ain't falling.

Wow, I didn't realize that suggesting that the starters weren't going deep enough into games to sustain a 90-win season was the equivalent of saying "the sky is falling." Huh.

Wow, I didn't realize that suggesting that the starters weren't going deep enough into games to sustain a 90-win season was the equivalent of saying "the sky is falling." Huh.

You said that the innings pitched situation is a serious problem. I pointed out that they are league average, hence intoning that the sky wasn't falling.

Wright has averaged less than 6ips per start. If he can't go longer at AAA ...why would you expect it up here? 5 starts 28.1 innings (5.2 innings per start)

Yep. People love prospects. He needs a lot of time at AAA from what I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived