Buck And "His Guy"

Rene88

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The idea of a closer is having someone you can count on without worrying about matchups.

Given what Hunter has done with what he has been asked to do, I would argue he has been our best along with Britton.

Britton has been fabulous in his role.

Not that I care for Hunter as closer as I think he throws up in the zone too much for a closer. But the Orioles and other teams tried the closer by committee and that rarely turns out to be a good thing either.

I just wish on occasion they mixed it up. Specifically if someone could use some rest and/or your facing the bottom part of the order.

Does anyone here think Britton couldn't close games right now? He looks superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree. You would think a forward thinking manager like a Joe Maddon would have executed this line of thinking by now. By doing this you also can use your best reliever (Britton for us) in the highest leverage situations which are often NOT in the ninth inning.

I dunno... Britton has often been the reason why the 9th inning has even been relevant this year. Don't mess with success.

Not that I care for Hunter as closer as I think he throws up in the zone too much for a closer. But the Orioles and other teams tried the closer by committee and that rarely turns out to be a good thing either.

I don't necessarily like the idea of a "closer" either, but I think relief pitchers like to know their roles and generally feel more comfortable knowing when they can generally be expected to pitch. I think that is one reason why we see even forward thinking managers using "closers" and avoiding a closer by committee. That said, with the ease with which Britton cruised through the 8th tonight, I didn't see any reason why Buck just didn't send him back out for the 9th. Also, going with Britton and Hunter again tonight probably limits their use for tomorrow and/or into the weekend. So why not use them on different nights once in a while to keep both fresher and to ensure we can use one or the other late in a game?

There have been plenty of left handed closers that have thrived. I seem to recall having one around here in the Davey Johnson years. :scratchchinhmm:

He was extremely good. And a closer before we got him.

I just wish on occasion they mixed it up. Specifically if someone could use some rest and/or your facing the bottom part of the order.

I think Britton could close if he continues his velocity and control. That said Hunter will have to pitch his way out of the closers role with Blown Saves. And remember how faithful Buck was to Johnson last year despite all of the blown saves.

I don't know if he could I know this guy leads the AL in saves. Britton has been one of those reasons that we have had those 11 opportunities.

I think its better just to trust the best manager we've had here since Weaver than to second guess him about how to close out ballgames.

Agree Buck is amazing but that doesn't make him god-like or never wrong.

I think Britton could close if he continues his velocity and control. That said Hunter will have to pitch his way out of the closers role with Blown Saves. And remember how faithful Buck was to Johnson last year despite all of the blown saves.

Agree 100%

Archived