Buck And "His Guy"

Rene88

More righthanded hitters. Drawing to poor odds with a left handed closer.

It's early in the season, but right handers are batting .179 off Britton. Against Hunter, they're hitting .318, with lefties not too far behind at .273.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tommy has just been extremely lucky. He has been a much better pitcher this year than last year. Looking at his peripheals, the only stat that has gotten worse is his walks, which are up but still low overall. His strikeouts are way up, his ground balls are way up, his LD% is down, GB% is up, FB% is down, IFFB% is up. There really isn't much else he could do better, compared to last year. The one stat that is hurting him is all luck, BABIP. Near .370 BABIP. Almost .100 points higher than his career number, and well over .100 points higher than his average as a reliever.

We all agree that Britton looks to be the better reliever this year. So maybe Buck is thinking outside the box here. Britton is being used as the "firestopper" guy and Hunter just pitches 9th innings with leads. We criticize for not playing matchups and being a slave to the save rule. But I'd rather just keep it as it is and let Britton and O'day be the go to guys to get the games to save situations.

Britton's 7 holds are more impressive than Hunters 10 saves. Right now we should all be happy about how the pen is being used. Britton and O'day are lights out. Hunter has 1 BS. Webb has been struggling. Isn't this what we wanted?

Tommy has just been extremely lucky. He has been a much better pitcher this year than last year. Looking at his peripheals, the only stat that has gotten worse is his walks, which are up but still low overall. His strikeouts are way up, his ground balls are way up, his LD% is down, GB% is up, FB% is down, IFFB% is up. There really isn't much else he could do better, compared to last year. The one stat that is hurting him is all luck, BABIP. Near .370 BABIP. Almost .100 points higher than his career number, and well over .100 points higher than his average as a reliever.

His walks are up. But I think they are some pitcharounds and Intentionals in there.

We all agree that Britton looks to be the better reliever this year. So maybe Buck is thinking outside the box here. Britton is being used as the "firestopper" guy and Hunter just pitches 9th innings with leads. We criticize for not playing matchups and being a slave to the save rule. But I'd rather just keep it as it is and let Britton and O'day be the go to guys to get the games to save situations.

Britton's 7 holds are more impressive than Hunters 10 saves. Right now we should all be happy about how the pen is being used. Britton and O'day are lights out. Hunter has 1 BS. Webb has been struggling. Isn't this what we wanted?

Yes, but I'm scratching my chin when he takes Britton out after 1 inning to bring in Hunter. This makes no sense to me. Give yourself a chance to give a Hunter the night off if possible.

I mean, league wide it looks like the save rule is working well.

League-Inning-Splits-2002-2011_medium.png

I'm sure that graph looks better because guys who don't allow 1.5+ baserunners per inning are included on it. Tommy has gotten the job done thus far and I'm thrilled about it. But it's not going to last forever. We don't have a shut down closer. Buck should be playing match ups more often imo.

Yes, but I'm scratching my chin when he takes Britton out after 1 inning to bring in Hunter. This makes no sense to me. Give yourself a chance to give a Hunter the night off if possible.

Yeah but by not over extending Britton it allows Buck to use him more frequently. Maybe it's just me but it seemed he was pitching longer each appearance in the beginning of the season, but in less games. Now it seems like he's pitching in a lot more games, but just an inning.

Hunter has always had problems when pitching in consecutive games, and even more so on those occasions where Buck has used him in three consecutive games. As big and strong as Hunter appears to be, he often struggled in those situations last year as a set-up guy, and he is struggling again this year in the closer role. Hunter has been lucky so far, but if Buck keeps using him - over-using him - this way, it is going to blow up in his face.

I blame Buck's stubborn two years of over-using Jim Johnson for Johnson's sudden breakdown last year, and he is doing the same thing with Hunter.

Yeah but by not over extending Britton it allows Buck to use him more frequently. Maybe it's just me but it seemed he was pitching longer each appearance in the beginning of the season, but in less games. Now it seems like he's pitching in a lot more games, but just an inning.

BnFSooAIQAEr9cF.jpg:large

I just wish on occasion they mixed it up. Specifically if someone could use some rest and/or your facing the bottom part of the order.

Does anyone here think Britton couldn't close games right now? He looks superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Britton needs to stay where he is. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I mean, league wide it looks like the save rule is working well.

League-Inning-Splits-2002-2011_medium.png

You have a similar graph from the years 1932-1941?

Without seeing those number in comparison to the numbers before closers were mandatory it is hard to judge them.

I do know that the winning percentage of teams taking a lead into the 9th has not changed over the years.

Archived