Firestone got me thinking.

weams

Who'd You Rather?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd You Rather?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt it. I think Schoop's ceiling will be Cano's age 34 season if that. Cano is an 8 WAR player today and he'll be close to that the next 2-3 years.. He is better with the glove now than Schoop will ever be at 2B. I can see both moving to 3B, or DH in Cano's case, but Schoop might even do that first. I think Schoop's ceiling is 3-4 WAR at most. Would take Schoop over Cano strictly because of the money.

This. If money weren't a factor, I'd probably go Cano. With money, it's not even close. Obviously Schoop.

Using a "what if" scenario.......

What if Cano had been willing to accept a one year deal like Cruz did, at say, $20-$25M, or even a 2-year deal at $40M-$45M. Given their 2-year window with both Davis and Wieters, do you think the O's would have jump in?

No way do would the O's pay 10/$240 for a already 31 yr old 2B.

So with Flaherty a utility fixture, and 4-5 other 2B at Norfolk - including Jonathan Schoop. I go with the middle linebacker and what the O's are doing now - giving Schoop a chance to prove himself, which so far, he appears to be doing.

Using a "what if" scenario.......

What if Cano had been willing to accept a one year deal like Cruz did, at say, $20-$25M, or even a 2-year deal at $40M-$45M. Given their 2-year window with both Davis and Wieters, do you think the O's would have jump in?

No way do would the O's pay 10/$240 for a already 31 yr old 2B.

So with Flaherty a utility fixture, and 4-5 other 2B at Norfolk - including Jonathan Schoop. I go with the middle linebacker and what the O's are doing now - giving Schoop a chance to prove himself, which so far, he appears to be doing.

If Cano were going to accept a one-year deal it would be for the full market value of his production, or maybe $6M x 8 wins, or about 1/48.

You expect another 8 WAR season out of the Ex don't you?
Yes or close to it. You are basing your judgment on the kool aid you're drinking on Schoop and your dislike for Cano as a person. Objectively Schoop's peak years will be in 5-6 years and that will be maybe 4 WAR. Cano might still be a round 3 at that time Maybe even 4 but he will have been declining from 8 and will probably have been better than Schoop for at least the first 4 years.

It's a bit of a red flag when the Yankees are not willing to spend to keep him.

They learned their lesson from A-Rod that you don't give out 10 year deals to players already past 30 years old. Have fun with your 40 year old, 20 million dollar second baseman Mariners!

They learned their lesson from A-Rod that you don't give out 10 year deals to players already past 30 years old. Have fun with your 40 year old, 20 million dollar second baseman Mariners!

And CC's second deal.

Yanks should have let both of them walk when they opted out.

Who would you rather have for the next seven years, all elements included?

Jon Schoop

or

Robinson Cano

Easy choice Cano. Hall of farmer versus borderline major leaguer. What next Trout versus Lough.

Easy choice Cano. Hall of farmer versus borderline major leaguer. What next Trout versus Lough.

Trout is young. If he stays healthy he is well worth his contract. Cano can't be. Even with good health. Lough even at his best could not approach Schoop's upside.

Archived