Firestone got me thinking.

weams

Who'd You Rather?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd You Rather?

I may want to have him more THIS year, let alone 9 more. You know me, Im the President

of the Jon Schoop fan club.

We'll you were the one who said every Oriole starter sucked and were about to give up on the season a month ago. So maybe you aren't the most logical person.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no salary cap in baseball and it isn't my money. Just increase payroll by 23 million.

Sorry, no.

This exercise is based in reality. At the very least you have to sell Mr Angelos on the idea that he needs to increase payroll by 23.5 million.

Trout is young. If he stays healthy he is well worth his contract. Cano can't be. Even with good health. Lough even at his best could not approach Schoop's upside.

Maybe Schoop turns into a decent major leaguer but I think you are overestimating his upside. He wasn't even a top 100 prospect in Baseball Americas last ranking. Do I want Schoop over Brian Roberts? Of course. But over the best second baseman in baseball? Not a chance.

Sorry, no.

This exercise is based in reality. At the very least you have to sell Mr Angelos on the idea that he needs to increase payroll by 23.5 million.

The whole thing is ridiculous. No way the Mariners would trade Cano for Schoop so there is no reality involved.

Sorry, no.

I don't even know why you're trying. Some people are interested in respecting the parameters of a thought experiment, others are not. I think you know which camp atomic belongs to.

Sorry, no.

For TEN years. It's not the 24 that is the issue. It's the 48 that he is really costing.

Maybe Schoop turns into a decent major leaguer but I think you are overestimating his upside. He wasn't even a top 100 prospect in Baseball Americas last ranking. Do I want Schoop over Brian Roberts? Of course. But over the best second baseman in baseball? Not a chance.

He had back surgery last year. That tends to hurt a player's prospect ranking. How far did Bundy drop after TJ surgery?

Easy choice Cano. Hall of farmer versus borderline major leaguer. What next Trout versus Lough.

Lots of Hall of Famers fit into the "borderline major leaguer with lots of talent and obvious upside at 21" category.

And lots of Hall of Famers had 8 win seasons at 30 and were out of the league by 35. 39 players have had 7+ win seasons at 30. 26 of those 39 were worth 4.1 wins or less at 35. Four (Wagner, Mays, Williams, Bonds) were still worth 7+ wins at 35. Dick Allen, Hack Wilson, and Lou Boudreau failed to be worth their age 30 season for the rest of their careers combined. Ryan Sandberg and Cano were each second basemen worth about 45 wins through age 30. Sandberg's last HOF-type year was at 32.

The whole thing is ridiculous. No way the Mariners would trade Cano for Schoop so there is no reality involved.

Of course they wouldn't, they've gone all in with him and nobody trades their contract that gets really stupid in 3-4 years six weeks in. The Phillies wouldn't have traded Ryan Howard ever for anything six weeks into his contract. They'd deal him for a basket of 12 Mackinaw Peaches right now.

Archived