Orioles are aggressively looking for backup catcher.

Greg

Full on platoon of the C position as far as I can tell.

I dunno. Now that Wieters has gone on the DL, this aggressiveness for a backup could be for someone to back up Clevenger. Unless he shows something, and fast, Joseph isn't MLB material.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could use a right handed hitting catcher that's for sure.

Clevenger is a fine replacement for Wieters vs. righties. I doubt this catcher search is even about Clevenger.

Last night's game was an extreme example for comparing catcher offense vs. catcher defense. Clevenger was nicked for 4 stolen bases with a win probability lost of 5%. Meanwhile he was credited for +36% with the bat. Seems to me (with no statistical evidence whatsoever to back it up) that a catcher who can put up an OPS in the neighborhood of .750 would be a net plus on the field almost regardless of how many steals he gives up.

I dunno. Now that Wieters has gone on the DL, this aggressiveness for a backup could be for someone to back up Clevenger. Unless he shows something, and fast, Joseph isn't MLB material.

I agree. And they will want someone with options who can be sent down when Wieters returns instead of just being DFA.

So... who could be available?

I would think that the Mariners are going to fall out of contention - John Buck. Hundley from San Diego is solid and available. Montero from Arizona is very good offensively. Maybe Clevenger proves to be a starting catcher?

What's up with Adam Moore? I had heard that he had an opt out with San Diego about a week ago and was tearing up AAA.

MLB career vs. L: .237/.289/.434/.723, not terrible.

This year in the PCL he has this singles-driven slash line: .356/.407/.481/.888

This guy would seem to fit the bill fine; I wonder about his defense.

AAA cathers hitting well and not considered prospects. Defensive reputation unknown

Jhonatan Solano (Nationals)

Adam Moore (San Diego)

Chris Gimenez (Texas)

BTW, Nick Hundley makes sense but he's getting 4M this year. Something tells me the O's might be reluctant to pay that much.

Solano and Gimenez would also work. Both are hitting well in AAA and have MLB career OPS over .700 vs. lefties.

Career CS%- Gimenez- MLB: 27% (league average) Minors: 27%.

Solano - MLB: 19% (SSS) Minors: 33%

Archived