How does Hunter not get tossed?

mcneck

Boys will be boys. Of course Norris threw at him and Hunter reacted as many would/do. The only thing I don't like is tossing the pitcher. Hitters stand all over the plate with body armor on but pitchers aren't allowed to do anything about it. I miss the days when you could pitch inside. That's the way money works; offense rules. You can't hit the quarterback at all anymore, lots of charging/pushing off in the NBA, hard but clean hits get fined in the NHL, etc...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boys will be boys. Of course Norris threw at him and Hunter reacted as many would/do. The only thing I don't like is tossing the pitcher. Hitters stand all over the plate with body armor on but pitchers aren't allowed to do anything about it. I miss the days when you could pitch inside. That's the way money works; offense rules. You can't hit the quarterback at all anymore, lots of charging/pushing off in the NBA, hard but clean hits get fined in the NHL, etc...

I don't know about that. A lot of factors are trending towards defense in baseball and have been for a few years now.

C'mon Murph, just touching Hunter in a non-threatening manner is hardly cause for suspension.

As for Hunter and Norris - both were at fault. Norris - at minimum - trying to brush Hunter off after giving up a homer. Hunter was crowding the plate too much in that situation, imo - knowing the pitcher was po'd about giving up a homer. If Norris really wanted to hurt him, he wouldn't go after Hunter's ribs.

Doesn't matter, if a player touched an ump in a non-threatening manner in a situation like that, he'd be tossed and fined. MLB can't have it both ways.

Hunter made a meal out of it. Hunter knows damn well if he was getting hit on purpose it wouldn't have been to the ribs but to the back. Pitchers are smart enough to know don't throw a 90 plus fastball to a part of the body intentionally. Rather throw it somewhere it won't hurt as much.

Hunter has a history of being a whinny little baby when he gets hit. People forget when Danny Baez hit him in the ribs, that Hunter actually throw the ball back at him.

How did Verlander not get tossed?

Pretty sure intent was there. They figured they were up comfortably so he took a shot at Cruz.

Instead both sides get warned?

If he had hit him he would have been tossed. That's why he threw behind him.

How did Verlander not get tossed?

Pretty sure intent was there. They figured they were up comfortably so he took a shot at Cruz.

Instead both sides get warned?

I think he doesn't get tossed because the incident happened two games ago. Of course, everybody in the stadium and on both teams, understood they were sending a message to the Orioles.

You noticed Buck took offense at the ump, when he put the Orioles on notice, at least, that's what the radio crew said, when I was listening to the broadcast.

I think he doesn't get tossed because the incident happened two games ago. Of course, everybody in the stadium and on both teams, understood they were sending a message to the Orioles.

You noticed Buck took offense at the ump, when he put the Orioles on notice, at least, that's what the radio crew said, when I was listening to the broadcast.

I think he didn't get tossed because he was Verlander.

That might just be me.

So, since Cruz got out of the way he doesn't get tossed?

Shaky logic.

If Joe Scrub Tiger had done that he would have been tossed.

I didn't see it on TV, the guys never said anything about Cruz getting out of the way.

I thought Verlander threw the ball behind the batter, much like a pitchout, but the wrong way.

I have seen this done by other pitchers and other teams and the umpire behind the plate did the same thing, warned both teams.

I didn't see it on TV, the guys never said anything about Cruz getting out of the way.

I thought Verlander threw the ball behind the batter, much like a pitchout, but the wrong way.

I have seen this done by other pitchers and other teams and the umpire behind the plate did the same thing, warned both teams.

If Cruz had wanted to get hit, he could have easily been hit. Since he moved to avoid I do not know if he would have been hit if he had stood stock still.

Blame the brass in the commissioner's office. Make a few rules and these situations won't happen:

1. Batter is ejected if they take a step toward the pitcher or if they talk to the pitcher.

2. Anyone who leaves the bench/bullpen is immediately ejected and subject to suspension.

I agree with the bullpen as there is no need for them to come onto the field. But if it is 9 guys against a batter and a third and first base coach that could be quite the beat-down.

I agree with the bullpen as there is no need for them to come onto the field. But if it is 9 guys against a batter and a third and first base coach that could be quite the beat-down.
That would never happen. The 7 guys on the field wouldn't do any thing. It would basically be Batter v P with the UMPs and the C intervening.

Archived