Curious to see how much time 53 homers buys

Moose Milligan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm starting to think it was a fluke year like Brady's. Sure hope I'm dead wrong!

Chris Davis might have the most power in all of baseball, so I find it a little difficult to call it a fluke, but it's possible he'll just never see the ball or be able to put bat on ball as consistently as he did last year. However, even then, he's already had a 33 HR season (in 139 games), which Brady never got close to. I think Davis will hit 40 HRs again in the future, just not this season because something's been bothering him physically. If he gets fully healthy and gets back in the zone he'll go on a tear for sure though.

He could help himself by bunting into the shift. One time. Lay down a foul. Foul it straight up. Just stop them from jamming their whole defense on the right side. Into a normal alignment, you can swing to make solid contact, instead of trying to hit the warehouse every time. Make contact, some hits will fall in, and some will sail out.

He could help himself by bunting into the shift. One time. Lay down a foul. Foul it straight up. Just stop them from jamming their whole defense on the right side. Into a normal alignment, you can swing to make solid contact, instead of trying to hit the warehouse every time. Make contact, some hits will fall in, and some will sail out.
He can probably walk at least 50% of his PA if he were a tad more patient, and he could get a hit almost as often if he hits away from the shift. But he wants the long ball because that's were Boras tells him the $$$ is.

One of the projections during this past offseason had Davis hitting 28 home runs this year. There was much gnashing of teeth here on the board. I thought he'd be good for about 40. Now I think most of us would rejoice if he managed to hit 26 home runs the rest of the way.

Davis has abandoned his opposite field game altogether, opting to wave at pitches or roll them into the shift. Also, watch the close-ups on his misses; he is not even coming close to contact. His swing is still powerful.

I think he'll get it together. He won't cost as much money to extend right now.

I like your idea of a token gesture, perhaps even two of them in close proximity to one another. Davis also gets down the line pretty well.

Prior to the DL: .250 .372 .382 .754 in 94r PA. Not great but still trying to figure out how he is being pitched and the .372 OBP is fine. After the two week lay off on the DL: .167 .286 .222 .508 21 PA. Took off two weeks, not good in 21 PA after layoff. End of the world, or slump?

He can probably walk at least 50% of his PA if he were a tad more patient, and he could get a hit almost as often if he hits away from the shift. But he wants the long ball because that's were Boras tells him the $$$ is.

Ugh, that last statement isn't fun to read. It's sad to think about players approaching the game with a personal agenda and money being the driving force but it's all too common in this era of the game. I don't endorse Davis becoming a small ball player but there are times where they are basically giving him first base with that shift. I feel like to keep a team on their toes you've got to do the unexpected. It will result in much more dynamic player...right now we've got CD the strike out king, he can hit it out but he probably won't.

Archived