Curious to see how much time 53 homers buys

Moose Milligan

Hopefully he's doing some teework again? That's what he said helped him when he came here. Maybe he doesn't feel healthy enough to take a lot of extra swings? Who knows?

What's most concerning is the occasional middle-middle fastball that he just misses. I don't have a good explanation for it. Adam is pretty much in the same boat, and it's killing the offense.

I don't think the last 2 years were a fluke. Even his second half totals last year were great except when compared to his own first half or Miguel Cabrera. So it's either a slump or an injury. All you can hope for is it's a slump.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread hurts my head. Feathernoodle posted the stats that matter and they were ignored in favor of a bunch of nonsensical rambling and opinions about stuff that matters not a bit like the lineup order. This thread is a perfect example of the saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

Feathernoodle wins the thread. Davis has been fine this year and a bit unlucky. The home runs will come if he keep hitting strikes hard which is what he is doing.

Just a minor correction. His name is Fearthenoodle (Fear The Noodle) not Feathernoodle (Feather Noodle).

I think his real name is far more imposing than the name you gave him.

This thread hurts my head. Feathernoodle posted the stats that matter and they were ignored in favor of a bunch of nonsensical rambling and opinions about stuff that matters not a bit like the lineup order. This thread is a perfect example of the saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".

Feathernoodle wins the thread. Davis has been fine this year and a bit unlucky. The home runs will come if he keep hitting strikes hard which is what he is doing.

I agree with this. I'll also add that his HR and fly ball distance before tonight was 294.2, which is down from his 308.7 last year but still very good. After 3 moonshots tonight, he might be back up around where he was last year.

Davis still not hitting enough fly balls to have another 45+ homer season (at 35.6% before tonight, way down from 45.7% last year) but his walk, strikeout, line drive, and plate discipline stats are all fine or good on the year. It was just a matter of some HR/FB variation that needed to normalize. Now he'll be back up over 20%, which is where he should be.

I think people have a point that Davis can be beat up and in by a good fastball, and has looked especially bad against them recently. But that's really his only hole in his swing, and if you don't have enough on your fastball he can still absolutely wallop it. He has amazing coverage of the outside of the plate and can demolish any offspeed pitches left in the strike zone.

He won't hit 53 again, but I'll still be shocked if he gets less than 30 and expect 35+ if he stays healthy, even with the time he already missed.

Davis never had a month of more than 12 HR's last year, so its not like he went on any unsustainable hot streak. If he finishes with 12 a month the rest of the year, not including May, he'll reach 50 HR. Not impossible if Davis gets locked in like he appears to be right now.

Davis never had a month of more than 12 HR's last year, so its not like he went on any unsustainable hot streak. If he finishes with 12 a month the rest of the year, not including May, he'll reach 50 HR. Not impossible if Davis gets locked in like he appears to be right now.

There have to be tens of thousands of months in MLB history where a player played regularly, but only 297 of them resulted in 12+ homers. So, I wouldn't really say 12 a month is trivial. In fact, only 7 months in O's history have seen 12+ homers by one player (Gentile, Frank (x2), Raffy, Joey Belle, Davis, and Boog).

There have to be tens of thousands of months in MLB history where a player played regularly, but only 297 of them resulted in 12+ homers. So, I wouldn't really say 12 a month is trivial. In fact, only 7 months in O's history have seen 12+ homers by one player (Gentile, Frank (x2), Raffy, Joey Belle, Davis, and Boog).

I agree 12 a month (if he finishes May with 7 HR's) is not very likely. Im just pointing out that 50 is still within reach. Davis hit 37 in his first 95 games last year. So Davis has a proven track record unlike most Major League hitters.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky to get 25 HR from him this year. Pitchers have figure him out. Davis cant hit the inside fastball until he learns to walk this will go on all year.

Lucky to get 25 HR from him this year. Pitchers have figure him out. Davis cant hit the inside fastball until he learns to walk this will go on all year.
If Davis would take the walks and hit away from the shift he would help this team a lot. But he wouldn't do as much for his FA possibilities.

Archived