Taking Young Children to a Game

OStrohNattyBoh

So I have the esteemed privilege of taking my 2 year old niece to her first Orioles game next week. However, I have never attended a baseball game with young children and don't think her (or my sister) would enjoy my normal routine of drinking beer and paying close attention to the action.

So, my question is, for those who have young children or have take young children to a game:

Do I have to buy a ticket for a 2 year old?

Where should we sit?

What do you recommend doing?

Any particular thing we should do?

She us a HUGE fan of The Bird; does he show up at one particular location each game for pictures?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I do plan on taking her by fan services to get her first orioles game certificate, but other than that, I'm really lost as to what to do to engage her interest.

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have the esteemed privilege of taking my 2 year old niece to her first Orioles game next week. However, I have never attended a baseball game with young children and don't think her (or my sister) would enjoy my normal routine of drinking beer and paying close attention to the action.

So, my question is, for those who have young children or have take young children to a game:

Do I have to buy a ticket for a 2 year old?

Where should we sit?

What do you recommend doing?

Any particular thing we should do?

She us a HUGE fan of The Bird; does he show up at one particular location each game for pictures?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I do plan on taking her by fan services to get her first orioles game certificate, but other than that, I'm really lost as to what to do to engage her interest.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Baby. Baseball. Beer.

It's a tri-fecta! Lite beer is probably best for kids.

We went to a game last summer and sat in Lower Reserve 17, Row 10. The Bird came to our section right up the aisle. My 6 year old jumped out of his seat he was so excited (and nearly got knocked over since the Bird couldn't see him). No idea if he always comes to this section but it worked for us. I don't think he ever goes to the upper level.

Honestly, though, I think 2 yrs old is probably not enough to really get anything out of it (but old enough to make you miserable when they want your attention). My 4 yr old really can't sit still that long and truth be told, baseball is a pretty slow game.

I would recommend leaving a 2 year old at home if you are interested in the baseball game. As far as seeing the Bird, I have had the Bird stop by our seats for the last couple of games. They give you a bag with a bunch of freebies in it and will take some pics with you.

Your best guess to see the Bird is either to hang out in the concourse in the hope he walks by, chase him down, or get there early and hope you see him. But, the Bird is busy and really wont have too much time to stop and take pictures.

You can try calling Cust Serv for the Orioles, but I would bet that all of the time he has to visit patrons is booked up. They tend to get booked up months in advance.

Sit on an aisle, be prepared to buy them a bunch of treats, take them and let them play on the jungle gym, move around, and don't expect to stay the whole game.

Follow the above and they will have fun while you will get to see some of the game.

Why on God's green earth would anyone want to take a two year old to a sporting event? Take them to a park so they can ride a swing or run around and play. They will get nothing from the game, probably cry and annoy everyone else, including the poor parent taking the child. This just not a bright idea in any way, shape, or form and will not be helpful to anyone whatsover.

Why on God's green earth would anyone want to take a two year old to a sporting event? Take them to a park so they can ride a swing or run around and play. They will get nothing from the game, probably cry and annoy everyone else, including the poor parent taking the child. This just not a bright idea in any way, shape, or form and will not be helpful to anyone whatsover.

Ignoring your constant pleas to the contrary I've taken my kids to OPACY several times a year since they were infants. They've loved it. Some of the more memorable moments of their young lives. Even took my four-year-old to the first home playoff game in 2012, the one with the eternal rain delay. He still talks fondly of it.

Ignoring your constant pleas to the contrary I've taken my kids to OPACY several times a year since they were infants. They've loved it. Some of the more memorable moments of their young lives. Even took my four-year-old to the first home playoff game in 2012, the one with the eternal rain delay. He still talks fondly of it.

What does he say?

Oldfan might have some feelings about bringing your kid to the game....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/79857-Kids-at-OPACY-without-tickets

(Dip sits back and waits for the fun)

I went to my first O's game in 1963 at age 8 and enjoyed it but did not get to see Russ Snyder's walk off home run as everyone stood up and I was too little to know what was going on....so it is possible a precocious kid age 5 or 6 could enjoy it as well. Not too sure about any younger than that unless they are little geniuses.

I took my 2 year old to a game a few weeks ago, it was way harder than last year when she was super little. I had the benefit of landing my cousins Jr Oriole tickets so they had some face painting and balloon animal stuff going on on the upper concourse. Other than that they will probably be restless and over excited. If you go into it with the intentions of getting the experience in for the kid and not expecting a whole lot of actual baseball watching then you'll have a good time. Taking care of a toddler at a sporting event is selfless, just keep that in mind. Now that your spirit is broken, have fun =) I'm kidding, I had fun and so did my daughter so it was a win-win.

There is a jungle gym by the warehouse but when we went it was overridden by older kids and is no place for a 2 year old really unless it's a slow night. They also have big bobble head Oriole bird statues that held her attention for a solid couple of minutes. We didn't see the bird though. Also, you'll probably want her to have a seat...I don't know what age it's required at but those seats are too small to have a small child on your lap longer than five minutes.

Oldfan might have some feelings about bringing your kid to the game....

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/79857-Kids-at-OPACY-without-tickets

(Dip sits back and waits for the fun)

Wow...that was quicker than I expected!

Archived