Taking Young Children to a Game

OStrohNattyBoh

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I am glad you are so honest because what you just posted is an example of the generational differences in this country or what is known as the "me" generation. To hell with everyone else, I only care about me. If I am out somewhere and my kid is disturbing everyone around me in church, or the grocery store, or the movies, or a ball game, who cares? (I am not saying that your kids are hellions, they probably are not,) but you cannot tell me you have never been out somewhere where parents allow their kids to be out of control, yelling and screaming, and just having no respect for anyone else). This is only getting worse, where people just have no respect for anyone else and kids are being taught that way by example. It is sad really.

Maybe these people take their children to these places because they don't have a baby sitter. Honestly, I can see your point about underage children in a theater carrying on while the movie is showing. However, the other situations that you present including ball games are pretty much family inclusive activities. ( I mean you are bothered by children in a grocery store? Just so you know they do have shopping carts that are "kid friendly.) You complain about this "me generation all the while complaining how these seemingly family activities are ruined by a young child acting up. You're right, there is a lack of respect among people in our society, and it spans many generations.

I'm with Old Fan on the 2-year old. I would only go that route out of sheer necessity (.i.e, can't get a sitter). I certainly wouldn't plan an outing that is at least partially for a two year old's benefit around a ballgame.

I think it's OK to take a 4-month old out of the house, though.

I don't get old fans rant. A baseball stadium is pretty loud a crying baby won't even be heard most likely. The highlight of a 10 - 1 loss was giving a baby a high five when the orioles scored their only run.

I now have a grandson who is four months old, and my daughter won't take him out of the house except to the pediatrician. She even has a nanny come in instead of taking him to day care while she works. Small children should not be around thousands of people. I would worry myself to death that something bad could happen, plus you potentially ruin the enjoyment of others, yourself and the kid, especially when you are talking about a two or three year old.

I think that is true for only the first couple of months. Congrats on being a grand dad. I am going to be a first time father in a couple of months at the age of 49. Should be interesting. I plan to take her to games when she is a baby. Hopefully we don't sit next to you.

2 year olds do not need a ticket

If you can manage, get a seat on the end of the row just incase you have to get up a lot

She isnt going to watch the game so what section you sit at is up to you

Cotton candy cotton candy cotton candy. Nuff said.

I take my 4 year old girl all the time and she has a blast. Just dont forget that cotton candy.

I can almost see the spiral.
Some of the most notable whirlpools in the world are the Saltstraumen in Norway, which reaches speeds of 37 km/h (23 mph); the Moskstraumen also in Norway (the original maelstrom), which reaches speeds of 27.8 km/h (17.3 mph); the Old Sow in Canada, which has been measured with a speed of up to 27.6 km/h (17.1 mph); the Naruto whirlpools in Japan, which have a speed of 20 km/h (12 mph); and the Corryvreckan in Scotland, which reaches speeds of 18 km/h (11 mph).

Powerful whirlpools have killed unlucky seafarers, but their power tends to be exaggerated by laymen. There are virtually no stories of large ships ever being sucked into a whirlpool. Tales like those by Paul the Deacon, Edgar Allan Poe, and Jules Verne are entirely fictional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool

My Dad used to take me and my brother to Memorial Stadium when we were 3 and 4, respectively. We always sat in the upper deck, all the way at the top where the fencing was. I guess it was partially because the price, and also because we wouldn't risk getting hit by batted balls.

The upper deck is good in that regard, there's very little chance of being hit by a batted ball. If you go with the lower bowl, maybe get a seat that's under the overhang of the second deck. This will help protect from batted balls, but also too much sun.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time!

I'm out of the loop but do we have any confirmation that Old5Fan is an actual old person? If not, he's a hilarious message board actor.

He is a great actor, as are others here. But alas. He is who he says he is.

Echoing what others have said, you have to be prepared to get up from your seat and do things on the concourse some of the time, and you have to be prepared to leave well before the game is over. Just accept those facts and you'll have a better time. There is kid-oriented stuff to do on the concourse near the RF foul line, so getting seats in that vicinity reduces the amount of time you have to spend going back and forthe between your seats and the play area.

My best advice to parents who want to introduce their kids to watching a ballgame, though, is go see the Baysox or the Keys. It's much cheaper, they both have nice playgrounds out in RF, they often have entertainment in between innings, and face it, you don't really care who wins and loses so if you have to miss a couple of innings or leave early, who cares?

Archived