Taking Young Children to a Game

OStrohNattyBoh

If you sit in the club level you can take the kids to one of the air conditioned lounges and watch on TV if need be.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

+1 on this. Club level is great for kids, and is worth the extra cost IMO.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's nothing wrong with being considerate of those around you. You don't know how someone else will react.

Case in point, many years ago we took our then two-year old boy to Disney and were sitting in a line waiting for a character meet-and-greet. My son accidentally stepped on the foot of a guy sitting on the floor with his family. The guy snapped and grabbed my son and moved him aside. Staring him down, I got in his face and told him, "Look, I'm sorry my kid did that, but touch my kid again and we're definitely going to step outside." My wife is nudging me not to escalate it, especially in front of a bunch of kids. Disney employees quickly moved in and separated us.

My boy has gone with me to the ballpark since he was two. The first time we lap-sat him,but after that we got him his own seat, and that worked out much better. I get the idea that's too young to bring a kid, and frankly we did that because we never wanted to get a babysitter. Bringing a kid at that age is more for the parent's benefit than the kid. Sure the kiddos can see the Bird before the game, get some cute photos, spend their college fund on refreshments, but there are three hours of game time to amuse them after that, actually less.

Forget about "paying close attention to the action." If you can roll with that, and most of us can, you can still have a good time watching them cheer.

DSC00061_zpse65c9295.jpg

What a cute child.

I'm out of the loop but do we have any confirmation that Old5Fan is an actual old person? If not, he's a hilarious message board actor.

Well since he is a grandfather. Some of his points are silly but some are right on

the button.

Of course that is a cute child, but nobody is going to take a picture of a crying, screaming obnoxious child at a ball game now are they?:eektf:

I have never had problems with obnoxious children at games, have had issues with obnoxious adults plenty of times.

I have never had problems with obnoxious children at games, have had issues with obnoxious adults plenty of times.

I would never have a problem with obnoxious children at games either, as I blame their parents not them.

Look, I realize every person thinks their kid is the exception, and maybe the ones here that posters have are so. However, Drungo's little boy was four, not two, and perhaps he is exceptional. Not all kids are that good at age four, and most are not controllable at age two, and you wouldn't want to control them. So it isn't the child's fault it is the parents. I go to Mass every Sunday and quite often someone comes with a two year old or several families do. Invariably one of them will start making sounds that any normal two year old might may, which is fine but when it is during the homily or sermon, and older folks like myself who have hearing issues anyway end up missing the sermon, it isn't always so nice and cute. Don't get me wrong, it is great to take a kid to church or a ball game, but at the right age.

Look, I realize every person thinks their kid is the exception, and maybe the ones here that posters have are so. However, Drungo's little boy was four, not two, and perhaps he is exceptional. Not all kids are that good at age four, and most are not controllable at age two, and you wouldn't want to control them. So it isn't the child's fault it is the parents. I go to Mass every Sunday and quite often someone comes with a two year old or several families do. Invariably one of them will start making sounds that any normal two year old might may, which is fine but when it is during the homily or sermon, and older folks like myself who have hearing issues anyway end up missing the sermon, it isn't always so nice and cute. Don't get me wrong, it is great to take a kid to church or a ball game, but at the right age.

Wait now you don't want children at church?

Wait now you don't want children at church?

You surely lack basic reading comprehension skills if that is what you got out of my post. I was talking about two year olds, not ALL children. The average two year old cannot help being disruptive (making noise, throwing things) during an hour and a half of church. It is especially annoying to older people with hearing issues. There may be times a two year old is quiet but if you have several of them, the odds are pretty low.

You surely lack basic reading comprehension skills if that is what you got out of my post. I was talking about two year olds, not ALL children. The average two year old cannot help being disruptive (making noise, throwing things) during an hour and a half of church. It is especially annoying to older people with hearing issues. There may be times a two year old is quiet but if you have several of them, the odds are pretty low.

Get a hearing aid. Maybe they can't afford sitters. I guess shouldn't go to church for six years after their last baby because you have hearing problems. It doesn't seem very Christian of you.

Get a hearing aid. Maybe they can't afford sitters. I guess shouldn't go to church for six years after their last baby because you have hearing problems. It doesn't seem very Christian of you.

Well how about this novel concept, let one parent stay home with the two year old and the other go to church with their older kids, and take turns week to week. What is wrong with that? How would you like it if I went up to you while you were trying to listen to something and start going ahhhhhhhhh, nooooooooo, or dropping or throwing books around. You wouldn't like it and would be p'od at me because I am an adult. Well guess what, I can feel the same way about stupid people who expect their two year old not to disturb others during church or a movie. I have seen countless young people coming into church late, their kids making all kinds of noise, everyone in the church looking at them because they cannot hear the service, and they end up having to take the kid and go. Tell me what benefit that is to anyone? Please, please tell me???

Why would anyone take a small child to see an Orioles game? That would be like taking your little moppet to watch hungry lions being fed cute little lambs. They don't need to be exposed to that horror. It's hard enough for me to watch it and I have been to autopsies.

As much as it pains me, I tend to agree with Oldfan that church and the movies isn't really a a great place bring your 2 year olds into. The ballparks and most other places are fine. I brought my kids almost everywhere, mainly because I missed so much of them being away that I just wanted to be with them as much as possible. I also doubt that any 2 year old retains anything meaningful or long term at that age. Even the most brilliant prodigy. I tend to agree with TS that the benefit is more for the parent at that age and that is perfectly fine. Heck my kids didn't get much at out Disney Land at 2 years old. They were pretty much intimidated of the place and characters at that age, but I do have some great photos of terrified kids that we stubbornly propped up with Mickey and Minnie that we can look back on and laugh about.

So, my question is, for those who have young children or have take young children to a game:

Do I have to buy a ticket for a 2 year old?

Where should we sit?

What do you recommend doing?

Any particular thing we should do?

She us a HUGE fan of The Bird; does he show up at one particular location each game for pictures?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I do plan on taking her by fan services to get her first orioles game certificate, but other than that, I'm really lost as to what to do to engage her interest.

Thanks for the help in advance.

We took my 2 1/2 year old son to his first game last week. He did not require a ticket.

We sat in the first row of the left field picnic perch and it was great. He could dance and walk in front of the three of us. He also got ice cream, a hit dog, and some tortilla chips.

We only saw the bird from afar, but he still liked pointing him out when he saw them.

We just watched and talked to him about the game. He made it through 8 1/2 innings without needing the books, crayons, or anything else we brought him. He danced during the music and participated in the game. He'd clap when others did, do the "Let's go O's" cheer, and yell "charge". He loved the big orioles sticker they gave him with his certificate. You might be surprised how much she will watch if given the chance.

tebyrasa.jpg

Archived