Taking Young Children to a Game

OStrohNattyBoh

That is not exactly the way it happened. I was suspended because I posted that Kyle Boller played like a retarded version of an NFL quarterback and the reason given to me for lifetime ban was my use of that word was offensive to a poster (who was out to get me) as he had a child with special needs. I said I did not intend it that way to offend anyone and see that word in use frequently by others and they are not banned. I was told the decision was not up for debate. Short time later I see the guy who got me banned by lying about being offended mocking me by using the word himself multiple times

So this really p0d me and I happened to be in Baltimore anyway and went to the Sun office not to plead for reinstatement but complain about the ridiculous way they were monitoring the site.

Sounds pretty close to legend. You seriously haven't gotten the memo on the R word?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Russ, I recall old school bat day. I went to one of those games it was the first of a double header. My uncle took me and I got one of those bats and do recall bangin it and the chant. That would not bother me in the least. I really don't mind yelling at a game that much and even do it myself. But if I had a two year old sitting next to me I probably would not yell as I would be afraid of making him cry by scaring him. I was nine or ten when I got one of those bats, at old Memorial Stadium and it was great...!

Hey # 5, I was just needling you a bit. Bat day was fun. I'm I brought back some good memories for you. I remember banging the top of the bat down on the old wooden bleacher in LF.You're right, it might be a bit too intense for the toddlers, but maybe those kids could hang. Take it easy.

I have a pretty good idea on taking kids to ball games. My wife and I raised 5 kids. We took them all to ball games from as young as a couple of months old on up. We took them to church every Sunday. We took them out to eat once in a while. The last 2 were even twins. We never had a problem. We did not keep buying cotton candy at the games. As a matter of fact, we did not spend a dime once we got into the game. My kids paid attention to the game. My middle daughter was even on the field playing wiffle ball with bird.

It falls on the parents if they misbehave. My kids knew there would be hell to pay if they misbehaved. That is what is wrong with kids today. My last 2 are now going to be 15 and they know how to act. We often recieved compliments on how our children behaved when we were out.

If you don't behave how do you expect the kids to. Everyone that says there should be no kids at ball games must have had a miserable childhood and were never kids.

I'd just like to point out that it's not ALWAYS on the parents. I try to parent my ass off, but my daughter has (documented) behavioral problems. She should know there'll be hell to pay if she doesn't behave, because she's paid it many many times, but punishment just doesn't take for her. Something we're working on with doctors and child therapists and such, but it's not from a lack of trying on her parents part.

Sounds pretty close to legend. You seriously haven't gotten the memo on the R word?

This was ten years ago and again nobody was getting banned for that word. The very poster who reported me used it five times the next day.

I'd just like to point out that it's not ALWAYS on the parents. I try to parent my ass off, but my daughter has (documented) behavioral problems. She should know there'll be hell to pay if she doesn't behave, because she's paid it many many times, but punishment just doesn't take for her. Something we're working on with doctors and child therapists and such, but it's not from a lack of trying on her parents part.

i came dangerously close to losing my oldest girl for awhile there. Seen other good parents just lose them. Hang in there. It can be tenuous. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

i came dangerously close to losing my oldest girl for awhile there. Seen other good parents just lose them. Hang in there. It can be tenuous. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Thanks. I just know how it would look to people, whose business it is none of, when Erin has her occasional off the rails moments in public. "Jeez, why doesn't her father do anything, she's just walking all over him." That sorta thing. You try to cage the hurricane, Judgy McJudgerton, see how much you like it. I'm not about to publicly flog my kid, and believe me, I'm none too pleased she's walking over me, either. Her not listening is a big source of contention with all the authority figures in her life.

Wow. Two? Seems a little young for a ball game. I know at that age, my grandson couldn't sit still for an hour, much less the length of a whole ball game. He is seven now and I have taken him to a few games and he loves it. I am not sure I could have gotten him to sit through a whole game back when he was two or three. At that age they seem to have the attention span of a flea.

A bit of advice, have something else for her to do, so she doesn't get bored. You may not need it, but better to be prepared in advance. Of course all the sights and sounds could be sufficiently stimulating to keep her going for the whole game. The ball park is an over load of activity. Could be perfect for a little one. Good luck, and enjoy the thrill. Nothing like taking a kid out for a first experience.

My daughter is 2 and I take her to minor league games all the time. She loves it. We stay for the whole game. It is one of our favorite things to do together. Don't listen to all these people that say it can't /shouldn't be done. Baseball, more than any other, is a legacy sport and if we don't spread it to our children it will fade away.

My daughter is a very curious kid with a pretty long attention span, so that helps. Here are some pointers that have helped me.

1. As much as they are able, keep them engaged in the game. I always tell me daughter the count after each pitch. We always high five/cheer even for routine groundouts by the oppositions.

2. Do as much embarrassing non-baseball stuff as possible. When they play songs between innings, get up and dance like an idiot. Cheer for the stupid cartoon races on the screen. Wave to the Oriole bird. The more breaks they have from concentrating on the game, the longer they will concentrate on the game.

3. Bring/buy snacks and drinks. They're kids, they get hungry. Hungry kid = No bueno.

4. If you can move to a section with some empty seats it can be nice to let them stand/walk a little bit right next to you.

5. Be EXTRA vigilant for foul balls. Sit outside of the blast zones, if possible.

6. This is the Gremlins rule of taking a 2yo to a game: Do not go to a game that interferes with their nap/bedtime. You are just asking for it. This is the perfect recipe for a public meltdown. Leave when they are used to going to sleep, it's not really fair to them otherwise.

That is not exactly the way it happened. I was suspended because I posted that Kyle Boller played like a retarded version of an NFL quarterback and the reason given to me for lifetime ban was my use of that word was offensive to a poster (who was out to get me) as he had a child with special needs. I said I did not intend it that way to offend anyone and see that word in use frequently by others and they are not banned. I was told the decision was not up for debate. Short time later I see the guy who got me banned by lying about being offended mocking me by using the word himself multiple times

So this really p0d me and I happened to be in Baltimore anyway and went to the Sun office not to plead for reinstatement but complain about the ridiculous way they were monitoring the site.

I am sure you weren't trying to be offensive using that word. About twenty years

ago some decided the word crippled was offensive. Wanted me to use physically

challenged. I do use crutches but easier in a wheelchair for me. I say crippled or

handicapped to this day describing myself. A lady I used to work used the R word

when talking about her brother and his problems. I am sure you didn't mean to

offended anyone. But I believe some get offended too easily. If I don't get pissed

or upset when someone uses the word crippled then why should others be upset?

I guess it's the world we live in. Have to be super careful with words now days.

My son has been to two games. He was about a year old for the first one and ended up taking an hour nap on my chest during a rather balmy day. He had a blast while he was conscious watching all the people around him.

I took him to the make up double header earlier this year. He had a great time. Watched about 3 innings very intently and then we got up and did a bunch of fun stuff around that park. Then we watched the last 3 innings. He even got to experience his first rain delay and thought the crew running around with the huge tarp was great. We're taking a group to a game in June as well.

The only thing we've tried to do is pick games that corresponds well with his nap. I wish their were more 4 PM games because I can just get him up from his nap, get him a snack, and hop on the bus to be at the game by start time.

I think this whole thing falls in the "know your own kid" category. I'm not about to take him to a game in the middle of his nap or starting close to his bed time. If your young child is the super active type, give them breaks from sitting in the stands and provide other activities. Sure baseball happens at the ballpark, but it's also a social event that could almost stand on its own. Walking the concourse, exploring the statues, watching people come and go, the play area, there's plenty of enjoyable things to do besides watch baseball in a semi-festival atmosphere. Will they behave themselves for as long as you want them to? Maybe, maybe not. Just set them up for success as best you can and deal with the rest when and if it happens. You are their parent and you know them best. If you want to take them to a game and think that (a) they can handle it and (b) you can handle it if they can't, then go for it. It might end up great, or miserable, or anywhere in between. Just don't set them up the fail before they even get to the park.

Oh, and Frobby's spot on about minor league games. We took him to Bowie and Frederick multiple times and he absolutely loved it. We're going to try to do that several more times this year.

Archived