Taking Young Children to a Game

OStrohNattyBoh

Great story. Great picture. But now the poor child is condemned to be an O's fan.

Why shouldn't he have to suffer with me? I posted my first game story some time ago--1 year anniversary of Cal Ripken Jr. breaking Lou Gherig's record and Eddie Murray's 500th home run. I didn't have a chance. We can at least commiserate.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took my 2 soon to be 3 year old (at the time) last year to Petco Park while the Os were playing. She had a blast and we stayed until the end. That being said there were more trips to the bathrooms and concession stands than I would have liked but that all comes with the territory of bringing kids. We both had a great time. She enjoyed hot dogs, nachos, and frozen yogurt in a helmet. We also brought some of our own snacks to make the price more reasonable. We also walked around quite a bit and visited the kids area. I see no problem taking kids to ballgames. It supposed to be a family friendly event even with the few yahoos out there. However, Petco Park was the least hostile I have ever experienced towards visiting fans.

I would not take her to a Yankees Os game...

That being said there were more trips to the bathrooms and concession stands than I would have liked but that all comes with the territory of bringing kids.

Ah, the benefit of having a two-year old with no interest in using the potty... a diaper change before the game and one after and we were good to go.

I just can't understand why someone would want to take a young child to a game if you will be spending the entire game trying to keep the tyke entertained and mainlining cotton candy. Wouldn't they enjoy themselves more at a playground or amusement park?

I am a firm believer they would, but then again, I have never taken a two year old to a sporting event and never will. I have taken them many times to the park though and they love it. Plus it is much easier to pack them up and take them home..

Ah, the benefit of having a two-year old with no interest in using the potty... a diaper change before the game and one after and we were good to go.

I guess that is one of the few benefits of having to fork over a small fortune for diapers...

Got another on the way in mid June- so my wallet will be hurting because of diapers again soon...

I guess that is one of the few benefits of having to fork over a small fortune for diapers...

Got another on the way in mid June- so my wallet will be hurting because of diapers again soon...

Have to look for the silver lining where you can find it. Congrats on the new addition.

The lengths you people describe to placate these demons makes me joyous that I will never have a child. But McNutty, it's so rewarding and it changed my life, blah blah blah. Kids are dream vampires.
I'm sorry, I was being loud??

It does bother me that so many have kids without putting any thought into it beyond it's what I'm supposed to do. This will piss a lot of you off but I truly believe people who have kids are filling a void in their lives, and usually that void is 'I'm boring'. For me, I'm entirely too selfish to put another human before myself. I enjoy my lifestyle as is. I'd also be very worried about having a stupid and/or ugly child. I wouldn't love it like I should. Real talk.

Just so I'm clear, this stuff I've said is mostly tongue and cheek. However I'm on Amtrak right now and there's a gaggle of preteen girls doing gymnastic like activities on my seat back and generally being a-holes. Point proven, universe.
You are a joke vampire. Take er easy dude.

I have two girls. I showed one your posts and we laughed together. Easily some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while.

However, I've let mine know that if they ever take part in activity that you had to endure it's likely they encounter someone who will put them in their place, as well they should. Why more parents don't put themselves through the same thought process you obviously went through to avoid having children when making the decision to have them baffles me. I imagine it's why we end up with little monsters more often than not running around the planet.

You've been away a while.

Congratulations on that. Do they wash diapers now days or is that totally

not done anymore?

Congratulations on that. Do they wash diapers now days or is that totally

not done anymore?

Oh, they do it. I don't know if they have it where you're at, but I still see the Dy-dee Diaper truck around where I live.

We considered the possibility of the washing route. I can't remember why we went disposable, but we did.

Because when it's 3am and you're changing your 27th diaper of the day and about to lose your mind from screaming kids and lack of sleep you don't give a crap if washing diapers is arguably a tiny bit more environmentally friendly. It's easier.

I find it no more annoying to have a 2 year old sitting near me during a game then I do a 30 year old acting like a 2 year old because he can't handle his Natty Bo's. In fact, I'd say that the number of annoying adults at a baseball game far, far, outweigh the number of kids that some may consider annoying. Kids don't annoy me, I think they're cute. Even if they aren't perfect little angels, they have the excuse of not knowing better. Look at the adults around you the next time you are at the game, I'm sure that they're more offensive by and large. Oh, I hate people who frown upon those who like to include their young children in things like baseball and church, reminds me of the time that some lady told me I had no business bringing my 3 year old to the church. I smiled and told her what a great Christian she was.

Because when it's 3am and you're changing your 27th diaper of the day and about to lose your mind from screaming kids and lack of sleep you don't give a crap if washing diapers is arguably a tiny bit more environmentally friendly. It's easier.

See!! What's worth being subjected to this?

I find it no more annoying to have a 2 year old sitting near me during a game then I do a 30 year old acting like a 2 year old because he can't handle his Natty Bo's. In fact, I'd say that the number of annoying adults at a baseball game far, far, outweigh the number of kids that some may consider annoying. Kids don't annoy me, I think they're cute. Even if they aren't perfect little angels, they have the excuse of not knowing better. Look at the adults around you the next time you are at the game, I'm sure that they're more offensive by and large. Oh, I hate people who frown upon those who like to include their young children in things like baseball and church, reminds me of the time that some lady told me I had no business bringing my 3 year old to the church. I smiled and told her what a great Christian she was.

With two year olds you rarely get the creeping, weird feeling that they're one beer away from releasing an uncontrollable flood of blood lust on the guy sitting next to them. Who may be you.

Archived