Roch: Dan Duquette on Wieters and Orioles Catchers

weams

"We want to give Matt a little more time and see if he's able to come back and contribute to this season," Duquette said. "In the meantime, (Steve) Clevenger and Caleb (Joseph) are doing a fine job. Both of them are doing fine. They know the pitchers and they work well with the staff. It looks like both of them are ready for an opportunity in the big leagues."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/05/about-last-night-12.html

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the "not a candidate for surgery" talk from a week or so ago was just...bull?

Not at all.

He was not a candidate for surgery at that time.

Surgery should always be a last resort.

If the injury doesn't improve with rest and treatment then that changes the equation.

Not at all.

He was not a candidate for surgery at that time.

Surgery should always be a last resort.

If the injury doesn't improve with rest and treatment then that changes the equation.

Didn't he DH for a couple games after the Andrews second opinion? I get that circumstances can change (and last resorts explored) over time, but are we dealing with a partial ligament tear or not? Depending on the severity of a particular injury, the gulf separating "rest/rehab" from "last resort" can narrow or widen, can it not?

Didn't he DH for a couple games after the Andrews second opinion? I get that circumstances can change (and last resorts explored) over time, but are we dealing with a partial ligament tear or not? Depending on the severity of a particular injury, the gulf separating "rest/rehab" from "last resort" can narrow or widen, can it not?

I don't know how the "flexor mass" issue is different. I do know that when I hear that term is is followed by rest and when I hear "tear" it is usually followed by surgery within the next few days.

My sense is that they don't want to talk publicly about the injury because if surgery is likely it gives them less leverage in a potential trade, i.e. other teams will know we're desperate.

Buck also mentioned something about July 1. If it's not better by mid-June, he's going under the knife.

I think the decision was made that if he can't catch, he will get fixed.

I think the decision was made that if he can't catch, he will get fixed.

I guess my confusion (and this goes to what CoC said, as well) stems from not understanding what kind of surgery Matt's potentially looking at. If folks are saying he'd be taken out of action until next year, but he's not (possibly) having some kind of ligament replacement thingy (technical term), then why would he be out for so long? What is it about removing/fiddling with a "mass" that would sideline him for the rest of 2014?

EDIT: like...why couldn't he come back and DH at some point post-surgery, even if he couldn't throw?

I guess my confusion (and this goes to what CoC said, as well) stems from not understanding what kind of surgery Matt's potentially looking at. If folks are saying he'd be taken out of action until next year, but he's not (possibly) having some kind of ligament replacement thingy (technical term), then why would he be out for so long? What is it about removing/fiddling with a "mass" that would sideline him for the rest of 2014?

EDIT: like...why couldn't he come back and DH at some point post-surgery, even if he couldn't throw?

Flexor mass is used to describe the area of pain. Often the cure is Tommy John. Which rarely works on catchers, Hence, the wait and see right now.

Has anybody ever waited and rested in this situation and NOT eventually gotten the surgery?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yes. If the Orioles are not playing poker / leverage for trading issues and what is reported is true: The flexor mass injury is a muscle. That can heal over time. The ligament which has no blood supply cannot heal. Reading the tea leaves I think surgery may be a significant option at this point in time. However, the correct path of treatment is to let rest and rehab give you a chance. If it is the ligament surgery which is the proverbial Tommy John surgery, then he will be out at least approximately one year. If it's just the muscle injury and the surgery needed for that, the rehab is different, but probably will be also out for this season. His Return would probably be quicker and by spring training. Hopefully, it is just a flexor muscle strain, minor tear, and rest and rehab will have him back July to August.

My sense is that they don't want to talk publicly about the injury because if surgery is likely it gives them less leverage in a potential trade, i.e. other teams will know we're desperate.

Buck also mentioned something about July 1. If it's not better by mid-June, he's going under the knife.

July 1st the deadline because that is the latest he can have the surgery and still be a full go for spring training.

Now it would be interesting if Matt were to show substantial improvement and yet not be ready to play. Would they still cut him?

Archived