Roch: Dan Duquette on Wieters and Orioles Catchers

weams

Yes. If the Orioles are not playing poker / leverage for trading issues and what is reported is true: The flexor mass injury is a muscle. That can heal over time. The ligament which has no blood supply cannot heal. Reading the tea leaves I think surgery may be a significant option at this point in time. However, the correct path of treatment is to let rest and rehab give you a chance. If it is the ligament surgery which is the proverbial Tommy John surgery, then he will be out at least approximately one year. If it's just the muscle injury and the surgery needed for that, the rehab is different, but probably will be also out for this season. His Return would probably be quicker and by spring training. Hopefully, it is just a flexor muscle strain, minor tear, and rest and rehab will have him back July to August.

Thank you. Good detail.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flexor mass is used to describe the area of pain. Often the cure is Tommy John. Which rarely works on catchers, Hence, the wait and see right now.

And I'm reminded yet again why my college major was English (i.e., I don't get it). If there isn't a tear, I don't understand why they'd perform Tommy John.

EDIT: and after noticing gordos' post, I'm even more confused (was Dr. Andrews unable to determine whether there was, in fact, some kind of ligament tear?).

Don't worry about it, folks. I'm hopeless when it comes to letters that spell out science/medical-type things.

And I'm reminded yet again why my college major was English (i.e., I don't get it). If there isn't a tear, I don't understand why they'd perform Tommy John.

EDIT: and after noticing gordos' post, I'm even more confused (was Dr. Andrews unable to determine whether there was, in fact, some kind of ligament tear?).

Don't worry about it, folks. I'm hopeless when it comes to letters that spell out science/medical-type things.

This is not a real hard one. It is not a pitcher we are talking about and they don't really have a good protocol with catchers to see a track record of success.

Pitchers are much more valuable than catchers with sore arms. Even if they can hit a bit, from both sides of the plate. There is not really any good outcome for this other than hope that with rest, it gets better. If it doesn't, as csgordos indicated, that alone calls for a surgical intervention.

Dr. Andrews does not release full medical information about exactly what he has seen on MRI's. It was determined that he was not at that point a candidate for surgery. The Orioles used his bat alone for a day or two, and then decided that he was not our DH. Until July. When Boras would require the surgery anyway if he still could not catch. SO he was given a rest to see if he can catch.If not, he will be operated on in a way that has a very low frequency of good "sport" outcome.

Did you ever watch the show House? It is a good primer for this type of thing. The evaluation and conversation are just a small portion of the real item at stake. And that is...

"Everybody Lies"

Haven't numerous players with partial tears continued to contribute at a high level after letting the area calm down?

I don't know? Maybe. Anyway, what is a partial tear? Is that like what Jim Palmer had?

Haven't numerous players with partial tears continued to contribute at a high level after letting the area calm down?

And did those players play at a time when other types of "treatment" were more readily accepted?

Yes. The human body is an amazing thing and differs person to person. Symptoms more than diagnosis often determine a course if action. I have had " normal" people have a full tear of 1 of 4 rotator cuff muscles and avoid surgery. I have also had patients with a partial tear need surgery. Matt plays an intense position on the arm. He throws more than anybody in the roster. He was a college closer. There is wear and tear on his arm. You have to give it time. Plus the Orioles are the new England patriots equivalent for major-league baseball. They do not give out medical information, which I believe is the correct approach. But it makes it frustrating as a fan to get accurate information.

Plus the Orioles are the new England patriots equivalent for major-league baseball. They do not give out medical information, which I believe is the correct approach. But it makes it frustrating as a fan to get accurate information.

It appears they were right about Balfour all along as well.

Yes. The human body is an amazing thing and differs person to person. Symptoms more than diagnosis often determine a course if action. I have had " normal" people have a full tear of 1 of 4 rotator cuff muscles and avoid surgery. I have also had patients with a partial tear need surgery. Matt plays an intense position on the arm. He throws more than anybody in the roster. He was a college closer. There is wear and tear on his arm. You have to give it time. Plus the Orioles are the new England patriots equivalent for major-league baseball. They do not give out medical information, which I believe is the correct approach. But it makes it frustrating as a fan to get accurate information.

Is 6 weeks of rest enough (or standard), or is this just a way for the club to give lip-service to rest and rehab while anticipating surgery for him?

Is 6 weeks of rest enough (or standard), or is this just a way for the club to give lip-service to rest and rehab while anticipating surgery for him?

Without all of the information, this sounds correct. 6 weeks will give you an idea how it is progressing. If it is no better or is worse than you have your answer. At six weeks, he may not be ready for playing time. But should be well on his way if it's going to work. It could still take another 4 to 6 weeks to be back to his level he's expecting. Remember, surgery is always the last option. One other thing that should be noted, MRIs are not 100% conclusive. They give you a basic idea and often are a good diagnostic tool. But, symptoms still are the major keystone to pay attention as it relates to rehab and plan of care.

The O's tight lips and slight disinformation about injuries is pretty amazing. It seems like this is how they operated even before DD arrived but now it is pretty extreme. They haven't been very clear about what the injury really is and won't be until/if a surgery happens. They seem to release more information and disclose more in general when it finally reaches that stage. And I think the speculation in this thread about DD wanting to keep teams guessing regarding the real need for a trade is the primary reason for the way they operate. It can be frustrating for fans, but in the long run it doesn't really matter how forthcoming they are.

Archived