Roch: Dan Duquette on Wieters and Orioles Catchers

weams

So let's say he does have it done, and it is great for him. I guess we can look forward to him playing we for the last three months that we have him.

Oh I'm not a cheerleader for the surgery or anything. It will probably mean the end of Wieter's playing career with the O's unless he would be motivated to take a decent short-term deal to build up his value for a full season after surgery.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's safe to say it's an unknown. But you were right when you implied that for the O's the long-term prognosis may not matter. But for Wieter's sake, of course, I hope he is able to have a long and successful career post surgery (if he has to have it).

Steve Christmas (1986), J.R. House (2003), Vance Wilson (2007 and 2008), Chris Coste (2010) and John Baker (2010); , Taylor Teagarden (2005)

Coste and Wilson were in their mid-30s already when they had surgery. The other guys were never all that much. Who knows if the surgery hurt them at all?

Coste and Wilson were in their mid-30s already when they had surgery. The other guys were never all that much. Who knows if the surgery hurt them at all?

Might be right. We shall have to see. Best case? He is good for us for three months and his value as a trade chip is completely ruined for us. Does that sound better? I guess we can still make him a qualifying offer.

How old was Wilson when he had it the first time? That did not take?

Might be right. We shall have to see. Best case? He is good for us for three months and his value as a trade chip is completely ruined for us. Does that sound better? I guess we can still make him a qualifying offer.

No, the best case is that we go to the World Series this year and worry about the collateral damage later.

I think Weams is talking though his hat as usual. Here's a list of ML players who have had TJ by year. How many catchers can you find? http://mlbreports.com/tj-surgery/

A small sample size indeed. But anywhere the near the 90 percentile that we hear about with pitchers? Obviously you are not including Minor leaguers and College catchers of which the only two that I have heard of to play again were Baker and Teagarden. So Matt will be fine based on your great research, and he will be fine somewhere else. We will probably get three or four good months out of him. Certainly no one will trade for him post Tommy John.

So this is a total lie passed on by Connolly?

"Via the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly, the verdict is that not only won’t he need surgery, but that he could also avoid the disabled list entirely. In reviewing the 27-year-old backstop’s MRI, which was taken on Monday, Andrews discovered that Wieters’ problem concerns an irregularity in the flexor mass of his elbow, one that may date back to his days as a college pitcher."

And so two of 6 marginal catchers were suscessful after wards, never mind that Teagarden had a 33 % CS and there is no indication that any of them didn't succeed because of their arms, means the prognosis is grim for Wieters? Pretty lame IMO.

So this is a total lie passed on by Connolly?

"Via the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly, the verdict is that not only won’t he need surgery, but that he could also avoid the disabled list entirely. In reviewing the 27-year-old backstop’s MRI, which was taken on Monday, Andrews discovered that Wieters’ problem concerns an irregularity in the flexor mass of his elbow, one that may date back to his days as a college pitcher."

And so two of 6 marginal catchers were suscessful after wards, never mind that Teagarden had a 33 % CS and there is no indication that any of them didn't succeed because of their arms, means the prognosis is grim for Wieters? Pretty lame IMO.

I would never accuse Dan Connolly who I know well and respect very much of anything other than passing on what he had been told, in the manner in which he was told.

Archived