Roch: Dan Duquette on Wieters and Orioles Catchers

weams

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One other important point to be made aware of. No pitcher will throw harder after Tommy John surgery vs what they do if they weren't injured. The difference comes from the fact that they were typically pitching in soreness or pain prior to surgery, and then after surgery with the pain removed they can now throw harder. But pre-injury they will always be able to throw as hard or harder then after surgery. You're not ever better after surgery then you are if you would never been injured.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I see what you mean pitching injured vs. pitching healthy... a ligament is replaced with a tendon. And the tendon is stronger. Is that right? So isn't there a potential gain there?

Sometimes you have to watch TV and listen to radio. Not everything is accessible on the inter-webs.
I don't own a TV and I don't live in BAL so the only non inter-web info I get is from MLB XM and I haven't heard anything there, other than what I have cited

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I see what you mean pitching injured vs. pitching healthy... a ligament is replaced with a tendon. And the tendon is stronger. Is that right? So isn't there a potential gain there?

You are correct that they use a tendon (usually the palmaris tendon) for TJ surgery. It is speculated that the body uses the tendon as a scaphold to remake a new ligament. The ligament's job is to hold the two bones together. It doesn't add anything that would help to increase velocity on a pitch. However if it tears you have instability and pain. Does that make sense? If not I can go into more detail.

Archived