MLBTRADERUMORS: Nick Markakis Stock Watch

weams

This is a racist comment. If the Orioles had a black owner, would it be ok to say " do we really think our black owner will let Adam the black go?"
The Greeks aren't a race. It might be an ethnic slur but I doubt it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will he have a choice is the question. That is, will there be a market? Well, I don't rate his speed nearly as bad as you do, but it clearly isn't what it used to be. He was motivated coming into camp this year and I think he looks better than the last couple and he is sure handed out there, but his future may not be in the OF.

If he doesn't justify a 33% pay cut for three years after producing .750 OPS are you willing to re sign Cruz to man RF? He most likelyli costs more andi don't like his D any better. What is the solution if he's gone? Would you make him another offer?

Nobody is going to pay his bat to play 1B or DH. He's barely worth it as a COF.

Do you mean Mark McLemore? He was only an Oriole for 3 seasons, but it seemed like more to me.

Nope, I meant Macklemore. He made a bad decision the other night.

I didn't expect to be more in tune with what less then talented rappers were up to then the average poster.

Is Nick going to be willing to take a 33% pay cut to remain in Baltimore for 3-4 more years? (for my part, I wouldn't want to pay him that much, anyway. IMO, he's become a poor defender by virtue of being extremely slow, and his bat isn't good enough to justify a $10 million+ salary)

Let's say Nick has a 2-win season in 2014, for the sake of argument. He'll then have a three-year track record of about 1.5 wins/season, worth about $8-9M per season. Assume that he declines half a win a year. That means he'd be worth a three year deal for 2, 1.5, and 1 wins, or 4.5 wins. So a 3/27 kind of deal? I think that's what he'll get, or in that neighborhood. Or less if he fails to have a 2-win 2014.

I don't think he'll have a lot of choice, unless some team with more money than sense signs him to 7-8M per win. Even then I have a hard time seeing him get $40M total.

Actually, thinking about it I wouldn't even give him a 3 year/7.5 mil deal. Him being a veteran and a fan favorite would basically require us to play him every day when hes a significant liability. We could grab someone for cheap or bring up a minor leaguer and likely get better WAR production than Nick would give us.

I say let Nick walk.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5930&position=OF

His 3 year projection on Fangraphs is 1.5 wins over the next 3 years. If he takes a 3 year, 7.5 mil deal then fine, but 10 million dollars a year for that kind of production would be really dumb to do.

Yes, I make all my decisions based on fangraphs projections of what will be happening one to three seasons away from the one season we are not one-third through.

Yes, I make all my decisions based on fangraphs projections of what will be happening one to three seasons away from the one season we are not one-third through.

He's a blow average defender who has below average power and speed for a corner outfielder. His only real worthy trait is a solid batting average.

He's not worth much.

Archived