Officially Worried About Tillman

Rene88

Hate to keep beating a dead horse but we pitch Tillman coming off a complete game on 4 days rest while Chen tomorrow will be pitching with 6 days rest. Could of given both 5 days. I know Tillman likes 4 days off but he was taxed his last start.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His stuff was embarrassingly bad tonight. And to top it off he had no command either. 86-87 and topping out at 90. Gotta be on the corners with what he had tonight. The groin injury makes sense.

He said in the postgame that it's not bothering him. He's just not very good at this time.

Hate to keep beating a dead horse but we pitch Tillman coming off a complete game on 4 days rest while Chen tomorrow will be pitching with 6 days rest. Could of given both 5 days. I know Tillman likes 4 days off but he was taxed his last start.

Buck is smarter then everyone.

I'm not the overreacting type (well, at least not compared to this group) and I don't get worried about bad outings so much as the drastic drop in velocity. Is this normal for a non injured pitcher?

If you thought he was a real ace, then yeah you should be worried. But if you think he's a solid #2/#3 pitcher, then I wouldn't be too worried. Hes a solid but not great pitcher, and those types have off days occasionally.

Pedro Martinez had 29 starts where he allowed 6+ runs, and another 23 where he allowed 5. That's pretty close to two full seasons of starts where (arguably) the greatest starter of all time pitched like crap. At Pedro's absolute peak, in 1999, he had a start where he allowed 9 runs in 3.2 innings.

I'm not the overreacting type (well, at least not compared to this group) and I don't get worried about bad outings so much as the drastic drop in velocity. Is this normal for a non injured pitcher?

Tillman has always had weird, atypical velocity changes. In 2009 his average FB was 92, then in 2011 it was 89, then in 2012-13 it was around 92, and this year it's 90. I think he gets his mechanics a little off and his velocity drops.

Or, maybe he's torn something and his career is over.

Was workig in Durham and went to a Bulls game. Spoke to a scout that thinks Gausman is a four of five in a rotation. Just one man's opinion. He did think Schoop will hit for power .

Does that mean he's Norfolk's #4 starter, or he's going to be a #4 in the majors? In either case, that pretty sharply disagrees with Gausman's top 10 or 20 (in MLB) placement in most prospect lists.

Tillman was bad but his defense didn't make any big plays either.

In the first inning Markakis looked like he had a chance on the double but whiffed on the catch, later he played a double into a triple. He has to be the slowest RF'er I have ever seen. He is barely passable at Camden Yards but in a real RF he is horrible.

Davis whiffed on a ground ball down the line in the second. It was hit hard but i took one bounce and went right under his glove.

A few plus plays from the defense might have bough Tillman enough outs to settle down, like he has done in past games

He needs to find that missing velocity though.

Was a reason given why Chen didn't pitch tonight? He will be on 6 days rest tomorrow. Tillman was coming off a complete game anyway. Was Buck matching up agai? If Tilly is dealing with something then it makes even less sense.

Perhaps this:

It?s hard to say which Orioles team is going to show up tonight, but the Indians struggle against left-handers, so the club hopes it can get another good outing from Wei-Yin Chen.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-another-day-another-need-for-a-fresh-arm-20140521,0,2140372.story#ixzz32RkOfT5O

Perhaps this:

It?s hard to say which Orioles team is going to show up tonight, but the Indians struggle against left-handers, so the club hopes it can get another good outing from Wei-Yin Chen.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-another-day-another-need-for-a-fresh-arm-20140521,0,2140372.story#ixzz32RkOfT5O

I am sure that was it. He avoided Chen vs Detroit also.

Tillman has always had weird, atypical velocity changes. In 2009 his average FB was 92, then in 2011 it was 89, then in 2012-13 it was around 92, and this year it's 90. I think he gets his mechanics a little off and his velocity drops.

Or, maybe he's torn something and his career is over.

Thanks for the response. I seem to recall this, but I'm not sure I remember the game to game variance. Year to year is not unusual for pitchers (though it typically just tends to decrease year to year) though Tillman was kind of extreme. Perhaps you are right, and he'll come out throwing gas again next week.

Archived