Don't Expect Any Power From Hardy Standing 2 Feet Off The Plate

section18

I have been proven correct when 2-3 years ago I campaigned that the O's should trade JJ (after the 2012 season)

If you didn't really want to contend in 2013 maybe that would be a fine idea. I like watching good baseball that features playoff contention and more wins than losses, so I'll respectfully disagree.

I will be proven correct that the O's should have traded Hardy (last offseason), as my above scenario of getting nothing for him next year plays out

Same thing.

As for Manny I have repeatedly said that he gets a pass on this season. He'll get a chance to prove himself next year. But as he continues to rack up month after month of under .650 OPS it certainly seems quite sane to me that he does not have the bat for a traditional 3B

I don't know how many times I can say this... Most of the best third basemen of all time weren't great hitters at Manny's age. He's not putting up sub-.650 OPSes every month. He's already had one very, very valuable season at a very young age. The idea that a month or two coming off a major injury means he's now Cesar Izturis seems quite insane.

The left side of our infield has 14 errors with 4 HRs and 26 RBIs. That is a problem.

The question should be "do you expect Manny Machado and JJ Hardy to continue to play far below the standard they've set for themselves, or do you think they're likely to play better?" I think most reasonable people would expect them to improve. Are you a reasonable person?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, Hardy's 7 errors puts him in a three-way tie for 14th most errors among MLB shortstops this year. Despite the recent rash of errors he still ranks 7th among MLB shortstops in UZR/150. Machado ranks 12th in UZR/150 among 3B. So, we are still getting above average defense from the left side of our infield, and I expect our rankings will get better, not worse, as the season progresses.

By the way, Hardy's 7 errors puts him in a three-way tie for 14th most errors among MLB shortstops this year. Despite the recent rash of errors he still ranks 7th among MLB shortstops in UZR/150. Machado ranks 12th in UZR/150 among 3B. So, we are still getting above average defense from the left side of our infield, and I expect our rankings will get better, not worse, as the season progresses.

And Below Avg bats.

With your laser-like focus on this are we to assume that you think their current level of production is what we're going to get going forward? If so, do you have a solution?

Solution you wont like. IMO the Orioles wont make the playoffs in 2014 they will stay around .500 all year. I would trade Hardy and get what you can. No way I would make him a qualifying offer. Better to get something then letting him walk after season. Move Manny to SS for rest of year maybe that will wake his bat up. This Offseaon make a run at Chase Headley last couple years have hurt his value but put him in a hitting ball park will be good for him.

Solution you wont like. IMO the Orioles wont make the playoffs in 2014 they will stay around .500 all year. I would trade Hardy and get what you can. No way I would make him a qualifying offer. Better to get something then letting him walk after season. Move Manny to SS for rest of year maybe that will wake his bat up. This Offseaon make a run at Chase Headley last couple years have hurt his value but put him in a hitting ball park will be good for him.

Yea, I think those are all terrible ideas. Trading when a player's value is lowest is counter-productive at best, you're much more likely to get value out of Hardy for the rest of the year than from some middling prospect. I think it's nonsense to move Manny with the expectation that completely changing his defensive responsiblities would make him hit better. And Chase Headley looks like he peaked at 28 and is now declining into his 30s - I thought you disliked the JJ Hardy model. Won't you be looking to trade Headley for whatever you can get almost immediately?

Yea, I think those are all terrible ideas. Trading when a player's value is lowest is counter-productive at best, you're much more likely to get value out of Hardy for the rest of the year than from some middling prospect. I think it's nonsense to move Manny with the expectation that completely changing his defensive responsiblities would make him hit better. And Chase Headley looks like he peaked at 28 and is now declining into his 30s - I thought you disliked the JJ Hardy model. Won't you be looking to trade Headley for whatever you can get almost immediately?

I think your idea of keeping Hardy is terrible so.

Trading Hardy means you are very likely taking a hit defensively at SS as well as 3B. And who do move to play 3B the rest of the season?

Since i said it was a .500 season play Flaherty and let him work his way off the roster in 2015.

Since i said it was a .500 season play Flaherty and let him work his way off the roster in 2015.
I think throwing in the towel at this point is silly. If we are still .500 at the TD we would still be a winning streak from contention. We would have to be well below that to consider trading Hardy, and Manny won't likely be as good at SS. I think he may have lost some range since the injury and he will need time to make the adjustments.

In my mind Flaherty has already worked his way off this roster. He's terrible.

And as for Manny, not so sure why some of you are so anxious to move the Best Defensive Player in the AL last year off of the position he won that award in, while also getting rid of the guy next to him who also won the gold glove at shortstop? Defense is not our problem, and Manny's bat will come around when he finally burns the rust off.

That all said, I have lost faith in Hardy offensively and don't want him back next year, unless he takes a discounted "I'm a defense first ss" type deal.

I think throwing in the towel at this point is silly. If we are still .500 at the TD we would still be a winning streak from contention. We would have to be well below that to consider trading Hardy, and Manny won't likely be as good at SS. I think he may have lost some range since the injury and he will need time to make the adjustments.

There appear to be a lot of folks here who're fine shifting their attention to other things, maybe the Ravens, maybe something else, until the O's can build a "real" contender by whatever they envision as the right way, sometime in the future.

Fortunately for the rest of us Duquette seems to be in our camp: teams aren't defined by short-term slumps, problems can be fixed, talent bubbles up, and trying to win baseball games is more fun than giving up.

There appear to be a lot of folks here who're fine shifting their attention to other things, maybe the Ravens, maybe something else, until the O's can build a "real" contender by whatever they envision as the right way, sometime in the future.

Fortunately for the rest of us Duquette seems to be in our camp: teams aren't defined by short-term slumps, problems can be fixed, talent bubbles up, and trying to win baseball games is more fun than giving up.

For most.

Judging by recent posting patterns, it's quite clear that there are a few people here who've become so invested in predicting failure (or at best mediocrity) for the Orioles that every victory serves as a muzzle and every loss an occasion for a gloating celebration. It's really a remarkably perverse dynamic.

Archived