Claudecat's Place: Was Johnson the Best Ever?

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would hope most of them. But I know my perspective is not that of most fans.

The question is what is you definition of fan.

Most Red Sox fans I know (for instance) only pay attention if the team is in first or maybe second place. I would like to think your average Cub fan is made of sterner stuff.

Most Red Sox fans I know (for instance) only pay attention if the team is in first or maybe second place. I would like to think your average Cub fan is made of sterner stuff.

That bagger that wears the Rays cap. Does he know who the first Roberto Hernandez was? He was like Jim Johnson!

They may be made of sterner stuff, but they're still not endlessly fascinated with Ned Williamson, Billy Sunday and Silver Flint. Or even Gabby Hartnett.

How can you not be endlessly facinated by this guy? :D

In all honesty I don't think most baseball fans even know who Honus Wagner is.

Maybe the new generation that grew up on video games doesn't.

But, my generation knew who he was for sure, and that was before the days of the information superhighway.

Maybe the new generation that grew up on video games doesn't.

But, my generation knew who he was for sure, and that was before the days of the information superhighway.

I bet more kids play baseball video games with Honus Wagner in the game on an all time all star team than there are older folks who read books on baseball history.

I bet more kids play baseball video games with Honus Wagner in the game on an all time all star team than there are older folks who read books on baseball history.

I don't play modern baseball games.

But, I do remember one that Tony LaRussa on his name on it, for the early days of win 95, and you were the baseball manager and could guide your team through an entire season, setting lineups, subbing as needed. But, I remember, they had a fantasy section, and you could have any of the old time veterans and he was one of them.

More often than not historians start their list with the Big Train. After him you get the following pitchers in some order:

Pete Alexander

Roger Clemens*

Lefty Grove

Christy Matthewson

Greg Maddux

Tom Seaver

Cy Young

The next group give-or-take looks like:

Bob Gibson

Randy Johnson

Kid Nichols

Satchel Paige

Warren Spahn

Koufax and Martinez would show up after that, typically because of their shorter careers. Bob Feller and Smoky Joe Williams find spots too. Steve Carlton often makes the top 20.

Sadly, Jim Palmer seems to be getting worse as the years go on, dropping easily to the 20s and sometimes the 30s on the all time list. People are penalizing him for the great defenses he had behind him (aka he takes a big hit in FIP). Whitey Ford's stock is also dropping.

I wonder where they put Addie Joss.

Archived