vs. Brewers 5/26

weams

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For one day DD and Buck are geniuses - Brach with the nice outing, Hundley comes through with big hit, and Schoop delivers.

Most days they are geniuses. It's baseball. A game of failure. So they don't always work out.

For one day DD and Buck are geniuses - Brach with the nice outing, Hundley comes through with big hit, and Schoop delivers.

...and two ex-O's figure prominently in the O's win - Reynolds with the double play ball and Frankie with the blown save and meltdown. DD and Buck are geniuses for the smallest of samples! :clap3:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I like Vazquez a little bit. I don't know how much he will hit at the upper levels, but he controls the strike zone, can run a bit, and is a good defender. He's got a utility player ceiling but for a 30K 20th round pick, he looks like a very nice org guy at the very least.
    • Well, he has hasn't done anything at the major league level yet and he still has defensive issues so we don't know whether he was a good 2nd round pick or not.  I think the bat is going to play at the major league level, but I see him more as a major league regular bat, with sketchy defensive traits until he can master corner outfield. But really my comment was more on the philosophy more than anything else. Looking at that draft, there's not a lot of guys who have made it to the majors or produced much in that 3-5 rounds yet.   It's hard to find signable high school talent after the first couple of rounds unless a team can go overslot, especially now that these top players can make pretty good NIL money in college. They know they ca have a good college experience, and play in front of packed crowds for the top programs, rather than taking long bus rides to Savannah, GA to play in front of 700 people on a Tuesday night.  So we're seeing a lot more college heavy drafts. Darrel Hernaiz is the only high school drafted player outside of the first round that has made the majors from an Elias draft.  Now Mayo should be the second, but he of course was a COVID draft overslot.   
    • Mike Wright?   Ouch!
    • Whenever I get excited about the first two starts a pitcher has, I just remember Mike Wright, who pitched two seven inning shutouts out of the gate.  
    • This reminded me of, in the 90’s, anecdotally, every year, Mussina would have at least one outing where he’d just get absolutely SHELLED.  
    • If he throws that many hittable pitches in the heart of the plate against the Yankees (or any Major League team for that matter) he is likely to get a similar result. 
    • Nick Pollack's write up mentioned the BABIP, though certainly watching that performance it was the kind of performance to make you think Voros McCracken and DIPS theory is hokum. I don't think it was random variation getting pummeled there last night.     Hopefully the Angels didn't find any cues the Yankees might also be able to benefit from.
  • Popular Contributors