Orioles "Appear to be the Leading team of interest" to Get Samardzija

SticksandStones

I guess I'm more of a realist and dont have great expectations that any more than maybe 1 or 2 of our pitching prospects ever pan out to be solid starters. That being said, I still wouldnt give up 2 of them for a #2 pitcher. A true Ace...maybe. But despite Samardzija's numbers this year, I still dont know that I'd call him a true Ace. Any one of Bundy, Gausman or ERod as well as a few mid levels and I'd do it. God knows having ANY quality starter couldnt hurt us right now.

I'd give them Ubaldo and Ed Rod or Gausman.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have followed Samardzija's career closely because I am an ND fan.

I certainly don't think he is worth 2 of our top pitching prospects, and, frankly, I wouldn't give up one of Gausman/Bundy/Harvey. I'd give up EdRod for him, with other lesser prospects as well. Samardzija's numbers are inflated this year and he pitches in the NL. I think he's good, but not worth mortgaging the farm for.

Personally, to ME, ERod is not in the same category as Bundy, Gausman or Harvey. I do not think you can throw Erod up there as the centerpiece of a trade for Samardzija. I would say it would take something along the lines of Gausman, Erod and maybe Hart?

A lot to give up regardless. To me a lot would hinge on whether or not the Orioles thought Samardzija would accept a QO in a year and a half.

Also keep in mind, this season is the season that the Os have a legit shot at the East with boston, tampa, and NY (to an extent) being down. If there has ever been a time for the Os to ship off a top prospect for a legit ToR pitcher, its right now.

Id give up erod and one other. Lets not be too quick to forgot how our last crop of 4 pitching prospects turned out.

Bingo.

I love Bundy, so I wouldn't include him. The other dudes, especially ERod, are fair game.

Let's just hope that Duquette is approaching this as trying to acquire a year-and-a-half of a guy with a 3.91 ERA as a starter in the NL Central. I know Theo is trying to seriously cash in on his career-low BABIP and more than one-run gap between his ERA and FIP, but let's try to stay sane here. He's going to be making a lot of coin, and he's not an ace. Two months ago he was a 29-year-old with a career total of 3 rWAR/6 fWAR.

On second thought, I've really reconsidered my position here.

This guy threw 213.2 Innings last year and had a 4.34 ERA in the NL Central, 3.81 ERA the year before. Everything here just screams regression is coming.

This is starting to feel a bit like Ubaldo 2.0 where we paid a lot for an amazing small sample size.

It seems like it would probably take Bundy or Gausman and ERod, Harvey, or some other of our top prospects. A trade like that would not make me feel confident about re-signing Wieters or Davis (meaning we'd be all in for the next 2 seasons). It also might limit any big trades we might want to make in the next few seasons, unless we are planning on selling the whole farm (that would not be an attractive long-term selling point when trying to sign Manny). If we have to give up as much as I think we would for this trade, I don't think I would be a huge fan of it.

On second thought, I've really reconsidered my position here.

This guy threw 213.2 Innings last year and had a 4.34 ERA in the NL Central, 3.81 ERA the year before. Everything here just screams regression is coming.

This is starting to feel a bit like Ubaldo 2.0 where we paid a lot for an amazing small sample size.

Actually the peripherals suggested improvement. Maybe not a 1.68 era but he's pretty good. I'd give Gausman up for him but not much more than that. I like Bundy better and the reports on Harvey sound too good for him to be a secondary piece.

Wow, this would probably cost two of Gausman, Bundy, Harvey and E-Rod. I'd be willing to give up one, but not two. I'm guessing the Cubs don't do it for less than two of them.

I would give up Gausman and E Rod and mayb Bundy and E Rod, but no way I am givingup Harvey.

Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, Rodriguez. I'd tell the Cubs take whichever two you want. I'm tired of waiting on pitching prospects who almost never pan out. This division is winnable and anything can happen once you get in the playoffs.

Archived