Orioles "Appear to be the Leading team of interest" to Get Samardzija

SticksandStones

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See: Tillman, Chris

He took a long time to get where he is, as staff ace. I didn't think he'd be able to do it for similar reasons you don't think much of Gausman. Some guys just aren't immediate impact guys.

Gausman has obvious tremendous talent and he will be amazing for whatever team he plays for in a year or two.

I am not sold yet on Gausman. He has great velocity but not enough movement on his fastball (see Hunter, Tommy) and his breaking stuff and changeups are inconsistent. He really needs more than a fast ball and mediocre secondary stuff to do well as a starter in the AL East.

What would it take to pry Hammel away, as well? He looks like Hammel 2012 right now, and his stuff plays in the AL East.

I never wanted them to let him get away to begin with. They could have easily kept him with the money they wasted on Ubaldo.

Those names might seem a steep price to pay for Orioles fans, but it’s likely that the Cubs would ask for two from that list, in my opinion. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports recently reported that the Cubs asked for Drew Hutchison and one of Marcus Stroman or Aaron Sanchez from the Blue Jays this winter, and that was before Samardzija got off to the best start of his career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/orioles-showing-most-early-interest-in-samardzija.html

Oh heck yeah, please do this so the Blue Jays do not.

I'm giving up Ed Rod in like a millisecond. I don't buy one bit of his league average lefty game. Get 'er done!!

What else are you giving up to "get 'er done"? Harvey, Gausman, or Bundy? And keep in mind some minor pieces are probably getting included as well.

Not eager to be the Mariners in the next Erik Bedard deal....

Those names might seem a steep price to pay for Orioles fans, but it’s likely that the Cubs would ask for two from that list, in my opinion. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports recently reported that the Cubs asked for Drew Hutchison and one of Marcus Stroman or Aaron Sanchez from the Blue Jays this winter, and that was before Samardzija got off to the best start of his career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/orioles-showing-most-early-interest-in-samardzija.html

IMHO it would be an egregious mistake to trade away two of our young arms for Samardzija. When the Orioles can't afford to keep our core of Davis, Wieters, etc, we are going to rely on our pitching to keep us competitive, or at the very least trade these guys for a more valuable piece than Samardzija, maybe a Giancarlo Stanton (yeah yeah yeah, I'll keep dreaming)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/27/levine-orioles-have-interest-in-samardzija/

The Cubs are scouting Gausman and Bundy, along with Harvey and Ed-Rod.

Funny that the article calls him the ace even though the Cubs are 2-9 in his starts. Very little run support, I know, but aces are supposed to be "stoppers," seizing the situation for some way to win almost no matter what. The Cubs' losses with Samarzija starting have been by scores of: 1-0; 2-0; 4-1; 7-5; 3-2; 3-1; 2-0; 4-3; 4-2. His two wins were 6-3 and 8-4. I'm sure it will even out over time, but one has to wonder if he's one of those talented pitchers who pitches just well enough to lose, although the O's braintrust is probably thinking that with the type of hitting and D the O's provide he cd become a true ace.

Playing the Cubs might be like a game in the Twilight Zone if we have to bat against Hammel, Arrieta, Bundy/Gausman, and Strop.

Archived