Some observations about Brian Matusz

Frobby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Flaherty is a good defensive player, but his defensive gaffe's have either been game changers, or extended innings longer than they should have on several occassions this year.

Yup. If not for that, the bottom of the 9th inning would not have to be played, let alone any extras needed now...

Let the record reflect: Brian Matusz did his job tonight against Josh Hamilton. Ryan Flaherty did not. It goes in the record book as if Matusz allowed a game-tying single in 0 IP.

Am I wrong in saying that could of been ruled a fielders choice, instead of a hit?

Had Flaherty and his wonderful 202 BA committed such a brain fart in not covering second on an Earl Weaver team during a pennant race he would have found himself on a bus to Rochester tomorrow morning. Just inexcusable he is hands down my most disliked oriole player on the roster.

Do I remember right Hardy has some kind of chronic shoulder condition he manages with the occasional cortisone shot as the year goes along? I recall Buck crabbing about a similar play a year or two back when some other 2B made him go across the diamond, saying there was a failure to protect a teammate.

Great team mental fortitude, as OFFNY called in the game thread.

Had Flaherty and his wonderful 202 BA committed such a brain fart in not covering second on an Earl Weaver team during a pennant race he would have found himself on a bus to Rochester tomorrow morning. Just inexcusable he is hands down my most disliked oriole player on the roster.

You really don't think much of Earl, do you? You can't seriously believe that a single mistake from a utility guy would have resulted in a petulant, knee-jerk demotion, can you? Or maybe you have some vivid recollections of Earl suddenly demoting Kiko Garcia or Tony Muser or Chico Salmon after failing to execute a single defensive play.

You really don't think much of Earl, do you? You can't seriously believe that a single mistake from a utility guy would have resulted in a petulant, knee-jerk demotion, can you? Or maybe you have some vivid recollections of Earl suddenly demoting Kiko Garcia or Tony Muser or Chico Salmon after failing to execute a single defensive play.

Earl never did those things. In fact, he kept Earl Williams. Buck and Earl had a very fond relationship. I think Flaherty would have been on Earls' team.

Am I wrong in saying that could of been ruled a fielders choice, instead of a hit?

I'm not sure, but you're definitely wrong for writing "could of" instead of "could've" or "could have"!

[sorry, but that's a pet peeve of this former English teacher! :P]

Yes, players should never, ever make mistakes. Off with his head.

Archived