Report: Jones Damaged Goods?

SilentJames

So here's my new theory. I've been wrong with the first 98 theories I've had (only posted a few here on the OH) but anyway here goes...

Sunday, the O's and M's agree to a deal sending Bedard to Seattle with 4/5 guys coming back. Medical records are exchanged and players begin to be notified. While players are being notified, Angelos's people or MacPhail sees something in Jones's file that they don't like. They call Bavasi and tell him to hold on they need to think about this. Since Jones already knew about the deal, he leaks the info to the press. This could explain why not all the players were notified yet as this could've happened relatively quickly.

If that's true, then the deal is in no way dead. It just means we are going to look into it and either accept it or negotiate for a deal w/out Adam Jones IMO.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So here's my new theory. I've been wrong with the first 98 theories I've had (only posted a few here on the OH) but anyway here goes...

Sunday, the O's and M's agree to a deal sending Bedard to Seattle with 4/5 guys coming back. Medical records are exchanged and players begin to be notified. While players are being notified, Angelos's people or MacPhail sees something in Jones's file that they don't like. They call Bavasi and tell him to hold on they need to think about this. Since Jones already knew about the deal, he leaks the info to the press. This could explain why not all the players were notified yet as this could've happened relatively quickly.

If that's true, then the deal is in no way dead. It just means we are going to look into it and either accept it or negotiate for a deal w/out Adam Jones IMO.

But would there be a deal w/out Adam Jones?

I don't see how we can do a deal without Jones unless we get Clement, Tillman, Balentien and maybe Morrow or Triunfel.

Can't believe after 15 years of angelos, that there are so many people ready to give HIM the benefit of the doubt. This stinks, the way it was handled, and everything else since the tejada trade. Is it just a coincidence that this so similar to past trade scenarios, and looks alot like the Roberts fiasco. This IS vintage Angelos. three ring circus wether its the draft, trades, injuries, radio people, etc., etc., etc.,,,

Can't believe after 15 years of angelos, that there are so many people ready to give HIM the benefit of the doubt. This stinks, the way it was handled, and everything else since the tejada trade. Is it just a coincidence that this so similar to past trade scenarios, and looks alot like the Roberts fiasco. This IS vintage Angelos. three ring circus wether its the draft, trades, injuries, radio people, etc., etc., etc.,,,

Let's not forget that Angelos openly admitted to blocking the Bonilla and Wells trades in 96, and the Roberst trade last year. If he blocked this, why wouldn't he just say so?

Add to this the fact that a medical condition that was not mentioned up front by the M's is an indication of bad faith negotiating and would need to be addressed before negotiations could progress.

O's and M's agree on the terms of the agreement.

O's and M's trade medical reports to be looked over while agreement becomes final.

M's pull Jones and tell him to get ready to fly to Baltimore

O's realize there may be something going on with AJ's hip from medical records.

If they bring him to Baltimore and fail his physical it is a devasting blow to his career.

O's put the deal on hold.

Very logical and possible, IMHO.

O's and M's agree on the terms of the agreement.

O's and M's trade medical reports to be looked over while agreement becomes final.

M's pull Jones and tell him to get ready to fly to Baltimore

O's realize there may be something going on with AJ's hip from medical records.

If they bring him to Baltimore and fail his physical it is a devasting blow to his career.

O's put the deal on hold.

Not sure why failing a physical would be a devasting blow to Jones' career.

By the time the guy's in line to make big money, it'll be clear whether or not this is an issue regardless of what a physical today shows.

By the time the guy's in line to make big money, it'll be clear whether or not this is an issue regardless of what a physical today shows.

A physical will tell the Orioles nothing. Albert Belle passed his physical, then suffered a career ending injury three years into his Orioles stay. I have a congenitive heart condition thanks to my ancestry. That doesn't mean I'm gonna drop dead tomorrow. But it DOES mean that in the future I am gonna have big problems. Same thing can be said about this hip condition. It may not hinder him at all today, but in the future it certainly will. If there is ANY indication on the medical report that Jones has this condition, we must move on in a different direction.

I would think that failing a physcial would scare other teams away and would really hurt any negotiating power he would have, even with the M's. They could bring it up everytime his contract is up - "we'll, we're not sure that hip is going to hold up so we will sign you to a 1 or 2 year deal."

I don't buy the hip thing...

Why?

- There's no way he's playing winter ball with this condition

- With all the scrutiny and details about prospects available today(esp. good prospects like Jones) How likeley is it that it's never been mentioned before?

- Owners may not be the most ethical people in the world but Bavasi wouldn't try to sell us damaged goods without telling us first. (Early on in the negotiations with us) It would kill his reputation permanently with all other owners.

- If it was a "minor" issue that Bavasi honestly didn't think was a big deal, the only way to see if it really is an issue is to do a physical which would allow the O's to really know for themselves exactly what risk they were taking and we know that the physical was nixed... The exact opposite of what should have happened.

Archived