Duquette on Johan

Greg

Now here this. Id much rather give that rotation(even spot start) to Gausman by the end of the month than Johan. I have absolutely no expectations of Johan.Anything he does will be a huge bonus assuming he can pitch reasonably well, but his fastball velocity had dropped to 77-81 mph after his second left shoulder capsule surgery, and that gives me a major red flag. I hate to be painted into a corner for starting him when Gausman is clearly the future and I believe close to ready. You don't have to agree, and most won't, but I'd hate to deny Gausman's promotion to the majors on a hope for past glory.

I could be wrong, but hasn't his fastball velocity been reported at 86-88 for the most part in recent weeks?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet if he was to start, his fastball would not see 87.

That's fine, he doesn't need to be that high to be effective. As long as he's in the mid to high 80's he should be okay. The question is if you make him a SP who do you take out of the rotation, or do you go to a 6 man SP staff.

I bet if he was to start, his fastball would not see 87.

I'm sorry I miss read your post. If he's going to only be in the low 80's as your post hints at then yes, I don't think he'll be that good. I actually think it'd be better for him to be a reliever and have his stuff play up but Santana wants to start. We'll have to wait and see but I think he might surprise us.

That's fine' date=' he doesn't need to be that high to be effective. As long as he's in the mid to high 80's he should be okay. The question is if you make him a SP who do you take out of the rotation, or do you go to a 6 man SP staff.[/quote']

I do not believe that a true six man staff will be used by any team still in contention for a playoff birth.

I'm sorry I miss read your post. If he's going to only be in the low 80's as your post hints at then yes' date=' I don't think he'll be that good. I actually think it'd be better for him to be a reliever and have his stuff play up but Santana wants to start. We'll have to wait and see but I think he might surprise us.[/quote']

Yeah. It will be interesting. Buck has stated that he only looks at him as a starter.

If DD is correct about his secondary pitches and command, then his fastball velocity isn't a huge concern. Yes, I'd like it to be 91 average, but.. 35 year old Mark Buehrle has a 2.10 era, leads the majors in wins and has an average fastball velocity of 83.3.

This short article talks about it.. http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/47972/veteran-junkballers-continue-to-thrive

The man knows how to "pitch." He might not need 90 mph fastballs to do well. Either way, I'm interested in seeing him up at some point.

Archived