Duquette on Johan

Greg

Miguel Gonzalez has been our best starting pitcher the last 3 times through the rotation.

You need to monitor him carefully and have someone warmed up once he reaches 90 pitches, and it's not a bad idea to skip him in the rotation every once in a while.

But why would you take him out of the rotation for someone who used to be great but who wasn't anything special the last time he was in a big league rotation, and who may not have anything left in the tank?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miguel Gonzalez has been our best starting pitcher the last 3 times through the rotation.

You need to monitor him carefully and have someone warmed up once he reaches 90 pitches, and it's not a bad idea to skip him in the rotation every once in a while.

But why would you take him out of the rotation for someone who used to be great but who wasn't anything special the last time he was in a big league rotation, and who may not have anything left in the tank?

Pretty sure the last time he was in a big league rotation his arm wasn't sound, but if he doesn't have anything left in the tank the last guy he'll be replacing on any kind of permanent basis is Miguel.

Most people here have been advocating some kind of spot start duty for him that gives each of our guys depending on usage and performance a breather. And only if he's up to it. If Gausman strings together some starts he could be that guy.

As others have said, if he can be anything like mark buerhle and keep teams off balance all game long with a solid mix of pitches and fantastic command, he could absolutely be a boost to this team this year. The guy was one of the best in the game in his prime and knows how to get guys out.

You HAVE to give him a shot to see what he has left. As a second lefty in the rotation, that could also have a huge impact. Gausman is the fallback later in the year if we can't get production from Johan.

Good problem to have though in my opinion.

I agree on that.

Unless one of our current pitchers takes a pretty big step forward in terms of quality AND consistency, the Orioles path to the playoffs rolls through someone not on the current roster. Roy is advocating for the future and a future that is bright for the Orioles is going to include Gausman and or Bundy sooner rather than later.

Well maybe but Kevin needs more time in 3A. Sorry, don't mean to offend those

that think Kevin is ready now.

True but it doesn't hurt to see if his tank has been refilled. He may not have

anything left at all but you have to see.

Pretty sure the last time he was in a big league rotation his arm wasn't sound, but if he doesn't have anything left in the tank the last guy he'll be replacing on any kind of permanent basis is Miguel.

Most people here have been advocating some kind of spot start duty for him that gives each of our guys depending on usage and performance a breather. And only if he's up to it. If Gausman strings together some starts he could be that guy.

Jesus finally some reason. He's pitching with a 3.34 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP over the last month with 8.13 K/9. Ride him on the DL till one of these guys peters out. Miggy walked out of the last game with an L after a pretty good performance. Young pitchers aren't the only ones who can have their confidence shattered by being demoted. Gonzalez is still relatively new in the majors and young enough to have a MUCH brighter future than Johan.

Jesus finally some reason. He's pitching with a 3.34 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP over the last month with 8.13 K/9. Ride him on the DL till one of these guys peters out. Miggy walked out of the last game with an L after a pretty good performance. Young pitchers aren't the only ones who can have their confidence shattered by being demoted. Gonzalez is still relatively new in the majors and young enough to have a MUCH brighter future than Johan.

Gonzalez turned 30 less than a week ago. Is that what Flaherty's "forever young" potential has done to O's fans? Now every player within spitting distance of his 20's is seen as childlike and full of promise?

That's a pretty lousy comparison IMHO. Flaherty has shown little to nothing and is a positional ex rule 5 player. Miguel has been our second or third best SP this year. And yes, coming into the league this late his prime could be 30-34. He could potentially have 3 to 4 12+ win seasons before he retires. And if you look back in 4 years and he averages more wins per year than Johan, Bundy, and Gausman each I hate to say I told you so.

That is simple not true. In 2012 Santana was outstanding thru his start on June 1st when he throw a no hitter and was left in the game for 134 pitches. His era was 2.38, WHIP 1.06 and 70 k's in 66 innings theu June 1st.. He was not as good the rest June but his era was still 2.76 at the end of June. Obviously Santana's arm did not hold up after that. He was lit up in his next five starts and has not pitched since.

Santana knows how to pitch. If his arm is healthy and he can work off the rust , he can still be very effective.

That's a pretty lousy comparison IMHO. Flaherty has shown little to nothing and is a positional ex rule 5 player. Miguel has been our second or third best SP this year. And yes, coming into the league this late his prime could be 30-34. He could potentially have 3 to 4 12+ win seasons before he retires. And if you look back in 4 years and he averages more wins per year than Johan, Bundy, and Gausman each I hate to say I told you so.

(it was a joke)

(I basically don't even look for excuses to take pot shots at Flaherty these days)

That is simple not true. In 2012 Santana was outstanding thru his start on June 1st when he throw a no hitter and was left in the game for 134 pitches. His era was 2.38, WHIP 1.06 and 70 k's in 66 innings theu June 1st.. He was not as good the rest June but his era was still 2.76 at the end of June. Obviously Santana's arm did not hold up after that. He was lit up in his next five starts and has not pitched since.

Santana knows how to pitch. If his arm is healthy and he can work off the rust , he can still be very effective.

Whats the risk?

If he can pitch, great, he can contribute and help this team.

If he can't pitch effectively, then shake hands and wish him well and thank him for helping the youngsters while he was here.

The risk is team Ws and disrupting the rhythm of the starters. Tillman is the only one who deserves to sit right now and that's not happening. But maybe in 15 days someone will deserve to sit. Maybe I'm the only one hoping the next 15 days show no place for Johan in this rotation. I'd rather have the guys we are relying on currently get the job done then hand over the reigns to "potential." But like I said someone will probably go down or underperform and we'll all get to see if he can throw two games this year.

The risk is team Ws and disrupting the rhythm of the starters. Tillman is the only one who deserves to sit right now and that's not happening. But maybe in 15 days someone will deserve to sit. Maybe I'm the only one hoping the next 15 days show no place for Johan in this rotation. I'd rather have the guys we are relying on currently get the job done then hand over the reigns to "potential." But like I said someone will probably go down or underperform and we'll all get to see if he can throw two games this year.

I doubt you are the only fan hoping our current guys will get the job done.

However, its long proven by every single team in MLB, you need more than 5 pitchers, nobody stays healthy the entire season, things happen.

Having another arm that can get the job done, only makes you better.

If you don't need the extra arm, then that's even better.

I doubt you are the only fan hoping our current guys will get the job done.

However, its long proven by every single team in MLB, you need more than 5 pitchers, nobody stays healthy the entire season, things happen.

Having another arm that can get the job done, only makes you better.

If you don't need the extra arm, then that's even better.

Well of course the more the merrier but there can be no more than 25 and he doesn't appear to be amicable to relieving (just a guess).

Archived