Jim Johnson

Jonesy10

Assuming Oakland is truly going to pick up JJ's salary for the year, then obviously they'll want something in return. I'm sure there's some desperate team out there who'll be willing to give up some pieces of value but I hope it's not us. Whatever we give up will be too much.

JJ = Chris Ray

Whatever they want needs to be better than a competitive balance pick I assume.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming Oakland is truly going to pick up JJ's salary for the year, then obviously they'll want something in return. I'm sure there's some desperate team out there who'll be willing to give up some pieces of value but I hope it's not us. Whatever we give up will be too much.

JJ = Chris Ray

They're not even comparable pitchers. Chris Ray had a heater and not much else and both flamed out and was hurt. Chris Ray wishes he'd had the career Jim Johnson has had to this point.

Looking at his peripherals, what stands out is his high walk rate (5.32 per 9) and his high BABIP. Sounds like he's had command issues that have led him to walks and to leaving the ball in hittable spots at times. I was a big fan of JJ but I'm glad he's not our problem this year.

You have to ask whether he's really hurt. Or at least not 100%. Maybe not telling anyone. Walk spikes are sometimes a precursor to discovering something amiss physically.

The Mark Wohlers case of Steve Blass disease ended up with TJ surgery - sometimes the only symptom of a partial tear is can't find the plate and it gets misdiagnosed as "the guy sucks and can't get his head screwed on straight."

To answer the OP, no I wouldn't trade for him right now, but if he somehow ended up on the waiver wire I'd certainly consider it. Contrary to what some might think of him, Jim Johnson is not a bad pitcher, his track record proves that. Clearly a change of scenery has not done anything for him. If he got it together a back of the bullpen of O'Day, Johnson, Hunter, and Britton as the closer would be downright nasty. But, it's not going to happen.

For a cheap price and assurances from Buck he won't be the closer , then this is a no brainer

Who asks for these assurances? Why would a manager put himself in that kinda of box anyway? Sounds way out and wacky to me.

You have to ask whether he's really hurt. Or at least not 100%. Maybe not telling anyone. Walk spikes are sometimes a precursor to discovering something amiss physically.

The Mark Wohlers case of Steve Blass disease ended up with TJ surgery - sometimes the only symptom of a partial tear is can't find the plate and it gets misdiagnosed as "the guy sucks and can't get his head screwed on straight."

1.17 WHIP in 13.2 Road innings.

3.24 WHIP in 8.1 Home innings.

Not enough data to rule out coincidence, but I don't think we should discount the variable of the home crowd booing relentlessly from the time he walks out of the pen.

To answer the OP, no I wouldn't trade for him right now, but if he somehow ended up on the waiver wire I'd certainly consider it. Contrary to what some might think of him, Jim Johnson is not a bad pitcher, his track record proves that. Clearly a change of scenery has not done anything for him. If he got it together a back of the bullpen of O'Day, Johnson, Hunter, and Britton as the closer would be downright nasty. But, it's not going to happen.

If he is offered as a waiver claim, isn't the signing team responsible for that ridiculous contract? I thought he had to clear waivers for that baggage to be dropped. Of course he would.

Not enough data to rule out coincidence, but I don't think we should discount the variable of the home crowd booing relentlessly from the time he walks out of the pen.

I always perform well when I am taunted and abused. But that's just me. ;)

I wouldn't rule that out, but you know me. I stay away from stuff like a longtime relief pitcher can't pitch because he can't filter out the crowd and he gets the yips. Jim Johnson has heard boos before and came back to pitch just fine.

I wouldn't rule that out, but you know me. I stay away from stuff like a longtime relief pitcher can't pitch because he can't filter out the crowd and he gets the yips. Jim Johnson has heard boos before and came back to pitch just fine.

Agreed - was more in response to your injury comment. His arm appears fine on the road.

Agreed - was more in response to your injury comment. His arm appears fine on the road.

I am with you on this. Again, people go to far from one extreme to another on here. The splits (home vs. away) are so dramatic that it should be telling you something...

if he can be had for a cheap price..why not? The only hesitation for me is Buck plugging him back into the closers role.

I am with you on this. Again, people go to far from one extreme to another on here. The splits (home vs. away) are so dramatic that it should be telling you something...

if he can be had for a cheap price..why not? The only hesitation for me is Buck plugging him back into the closers role.

Do you have so little faith in Buck that you just assume he's likely to do things like plug a guy who was just essentially released for bad performance into a key role? You can't really believe that, can you? It's one thing to show faith in your best reliever after a rough patch, and another thing altogether to go out and acquire a guy who's struggling badly and hand him the top job in the pen.

Archived