Jim Johnson

Jonesy10

Do you have so little faith in Buck that you just assume he's likely to do things like plug a guy who was just essentially released for bad performance into a key role? You can't really believe that, can you? It's one thing to show faith in your best reliever after a rough patch, and another thing altogether to go out and acquire a guy who's struggling badly and hand him the top job in the pen.

Keeping Teagarden for so long or sending Clevenger down or keeping Reynolds at 3B so long does give me pause..yes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keeping Teagarden for so long or sending Clevenger down or keeping Reynolds at 3B so long does give me pause..yes.

Teagarden & Clevenger is roster moves and the duty of the GM, not the manager.

I dont believe Buck had much choice than Reynolds at 3B, since Bell was a bust.

That's amazing. On second thought, maybe not. Some folks are naturally going to see the worst in people.

Don't misrepresent what I am saying. I am saying simply this: Buck has his guys and he sticks with them too long. I would be concerned if we reacquired JJ that it would become an issue, again. Overusing and using an ineffective JJ cost us a wild card spot IMO.

Do I think Buck is awful? Of course I don't. That is insanity.

Spare me with the "I see the worst in people" line...

As I said in 2012, in a largely lambasted post, we should have traded him for Porcello pre-2013. Talk about maximizing value...Instead we got a ruined 2013 season and Jemile Weeks. But that ship has obviously sailed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well he'll be here tomorrow, so everybody pretend that we weren't just talking about him.

Play it cool. Keep it light.

And I'm sure he'll mow us down if he enters the game.

Well lets not get too hospitable for our guests.

Its not the early 2000's at Camden Yards anymore.

As I said in 2012, in a largely lambasted post, we should have traded him for Porcello pre-2013. Talk about maximizing value...Instead we got a ruined 2013 season and Jemile Weeks. But that ship has obviously sailed.

I have heard a few people make this claim, but I digress:

1. What evidence was there to suggest that Porcello was available and that Johnson would have gotten it done?

2. Would the Tigers have been able to get a better deal if Porcello was available?

3. Even if it would have gotten it done and Porcello was available, what reason do we have to think the Orioles were going to trade Johnson after the 2012 season?

Don't misrepresent what I am saying. I am saying simply this: Buck has his guys and he sticks with them too long. I would be concerned if we reacquired JJ that it would become an issue, again. Overusing and using an ineffective JJ cost us a wild card spot IMO.

Do I think Buck is awful? Of course I don't. That is insanity.

Spare me with the "I see the worst in people" line...

What does Buck sticking with guys "too long" have to do with reacquiring a struggling pitcher and then handing him the most important pitching role in the bullpen? Are you also afraid of him calling Vlad out of retirement and giving him 700 PAs in the cleanup spot?

In 2013 Rick Porcello was 177 innings of a 97 ERA+. That's what you get when you combine the 2013 numbers of Scott Feldman (as an Oriole) and TJ McFarland. Or a bit worse than Miguel Gonzalez.

You really think it's maximizing value by trading your closer (who you then have to replace) for another Miguel Gonzalez? What does that gain the O's? A win or two, if that?

Or were you going to convert Porcello to relief and assume he'd have been better than Johnson?

I'm surprised you haven't been named Emperor by now.

Lucky for us, Duke is running the FO and not you.

Archived