4th Round - Pat Connaughton - RHP - Notre Dame

8 hours ago, connja said:

Looks like pat made the right choice.  Well done kid. 

Yeah, he's a key player in the NBA Championship series - made a huge 3 late in last night's game.  I never thought he'd be this good as an NBA player.  As an added bonus, I'm a life-long Bucks fan, so I get to be thrilled by his success.    

It sucks that he misled the Orioles on his intentions, but ultimately he played the sport he loved the most at the highest level and it worked out for him. I still believe he should have been required to pay back his bonus but it's old news now.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It sucks that he misled the Orioles on his intentions, but ultimately he played the sport he loved the most at the highest level and it worked out for him. I still believe he should have been required to pay back his bonus but it's old news now.

The O's didn't go after it because that allowed them to keep his baseball rights through 2020.  Most people did not expect him to stick in the NBA.  

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

The O's didn't go after it because that allowed them to keep his baseball rights through 2020.  Most people did not expect him to stick in the NBA.  

Perhaps that was an organizational decision and perhaps the young man just had a change of heart when he realized he wanted to go into the NBA. In the big game of things it doesn't really matter. I'm happy for him though that he's had success in the sport he loved the most.

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps that was an organizational decision and perhaps the young man just had a change of heart when he realized he wanted to go into the NBA. In the big game of things it doesn't really matter. I'm happy for him though that he's had success in the sport he loved the most.

He’s signed through the 2022-23 season and will have made a total of $22 mm by the time that’s through.   I’d say it worked out for him.    

• Upvote 1

He's also made a great living in basketball and I'm guessing he did not expect that when he was originally negotiating with the O's. According to Spotrac, he's made almost $11 million and still has about $11 million in guarantees for the next couple of years. 

He's such a valuable role player that I expect him to be valuable for several years to come. He'd have had to be really good at baseball to exceed those numbers.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

He's also made a great living in basketball and I'm guessing he did not expect that when he was originally negotiating with the O's. According to Spotrac, he's made almost $11 million and still has about $11 million in guarantees for the next couple of years. 

He's such a valuable role player that I expect him to be valuable for several years to come. He'd have had to be really good at baseball to exceed those numbers.

The odds are way against it.   Figure he would have spent 1-2 years in the minors at a minimum, then had three years at pre-Arb salaries, then three years of arbitration.  The most successful college pitchers selected in the fourth round that year were Jordan Montgomery and Ryan Yarbrough.   Nether has earned $5 mm to date.   Connaughton profiled as a reliever and would probably have made less than those two, even if he made it to the majors.   Only 7 of 14 college pitchers chosen in the 4th round that year have pitched in the bigs.

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I doubt he misled them.  They knew he played basketball and let him go back for his senior year.  He broke out in the NCAA tournament and then had a great NBA combine workout. When he signed with the Orioles both he and them likely doubted he had any shot at the NBA. 

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

I doubt he misled them.  They knew he played basketball and let him go back for his senior year.  He broke out in the NCAA tournament and then had a great NBA combine workout. When he signed with the Orioles both he and them likely doubted he had any shot at the NBA. 

Perhaps. It did seem doubtful that he would be good enough to play in the NBA when the Orioles drafted him, but they certainly knew he was going to go back and play his senior year. Either way, he appears to have made the right choice. He's playing the sport he love the most and his command issues and the Orioles lack of pitching development when he would have been in the system suggests he would have struggled to make the major leagues. 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:19 AM, Ruzious said:

Yeah, he's a key player in the NBA Championship series - made a huge 3 late in last night's game.  I never thought he'd be this good as an NBA player.  As an added bonus, I'm a life-long Bucks fan, so I get to be thrilled by his success.    

It's mid-July. I didn't realize the NBA was still going. (Yes, that has been my takeaway from this thread being bumped). 

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

It's mid-July. I didn't realize the NBA was still going. (Yes, that has been my takeaway from this thread being bumped). 

It is annoying that they've been playing 1 game every 3 days.  Phoenix and Milwaukee basically have no offseason - and they still have to prepare for the draft - not to mention the players representing the US.