Embarrassed by Camden faithful- they boo Jim Johnson.

Rojo13

I'm not at the game but on Fox they said there was a smattering of boos.

Who are these goons booing Johnson? Johnson was an Orioles draftee. He gave his heart and soul to us and saved 100 games over two years and wanted to still pitch here. WE traded him away. The boos are embarrassing.

Even if he had signed a FA deal with another team, I would say the boos were embarrassing but this is even worse.

It amazes me that because people spend $50 they think they can do whatever they want at a game and forget these people are human beings.

In my mind, boos are unacceptable except for 1) PED use 2) Off the field behavior (arrests) 3) Dogging it/lack of effort

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was booed because many people blame him for us not making the playoffs. Now I know the educated members here will point to OBP or whatever, but the reality is, there were a lot of traumatic blown saves that really put some bad karma on the team and the fans. He got booed here last year when he played for us.

I just mentioned the same thing in another thread. I am surprised and disappointed that he was booed. Were there bad times? Absolutely, but he was an Oriole for a long time and did a lot of good things for the team.

I would expect a few people booing, but I would also expect a good amount of cheers. But if the boos were what was mostly heard, that's disappointing, IMO.

Like Nelson Cruz, things did not end well in Texas, and he was getting a lot of criticism and jeers even before the suspension last year. But he got a lot of cheers and appreciation in Arlington earlier this week. JJ should have gotten close to the same, IMO.

I didn't hear any boos but hopefully it was just FOX (Gary probably got information in his ear) trying to overblow something that wasn't there.

I seriously doubt mature intelligent Oriole fans would boo Jim Johnson especially with their team leading.

Who are these goons booing Johnson? Johnson was an Orioles draftee. He gave his heart and soul to us and saved 100 games over two years and wanted to still pitch here. WE traded him away. The boos are embarrassing.

Even if he had signed a FA deal with another team, I would say the boos were embarrassing but this is even worse.

It amazes me that because people spend $50 they think they can do whatever they want at a game and forget these people are human beings.

In my mind, boos are unacceptable except for 1) PED use 2) Off the field behavior (arrests) 3) Dogging it/lack of effort

This isn't the little leagues. You get booed for poor performances, every athlete knows that. The guy is lucky he doesn't have a real career, than being "booed" would be pretty minor.

Personally I'm tired of the pussification sports.

At the end of the day I doubt he cared, he's a man(though recently that seems to mean less and less), he financially more successful than 99% of the fans, and probably has heard it all before.

Compared to what he hears in Oakland, anywhere else he plays and potentially gets booed will be pretty minor.

It's kind of a philosophical question. Is it better to be booed off the field by the fans of the team that invested 10 mil in you to anchor the back end of a playoff bound bullpen, or get quasi booed, quasi cheered off the field by the team that didn't? I am not sure I know the answer.

Chavez Ravine said:

It's kind of a philosophical question. Is it better to be booed off the field by the fans of the team that invested $10 M in you to anchor the back end of a playoff bound bullpen, or get quasi booed, quasi-cheered off the field by the team that didn't? I am not sure I know the answer.

o

Rick Barry once stated that boos on the road were the equivalent of cheers at home.

And for the most part, I believe that that is correct. If you give up 10 hits and 6 runs in 2 innings on the road, the crowd (unless they have an additional personal dislike of that pitcher) aren't going to boo you.

If, on the other hand, you constantly shut the road team down and/or if you are a position player that constantly lights their pitchers up, well ........ then that road crowd will probably find a reason to dislike you, and boo you ........ which is why Rick Barry rationalized that getting booed on the road was a compliment.

o

I was at the game and I can tell you the boos were a tiny minority. There were quite emphatic cheers and a lot of polite claps. The whole issue is overblown. The few people who booed do not represent the Orioles fan base as a whole. FOX has no idea what they're talking about.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, people paid their money to go to the game and are going to do whatever they want to do so long as it's within the legal system and doesn't cross a line. I wasn't there, but I figured if he did pitch he would get some boo's, simply because he's on the opposing teams, and because some fans still have sore feelings and will likely cling to them for a long time because that's just what fans do. It doesn't mean I agree with them, and I do find it to be in poor taste to boo Johnson given how long he was here and the success he did in fact have, but that's just the reality of baseball and what being a fan is.

Absolutely! We should all start booing Nelson Cruz now. :D

#3 on your list never happens. That's got to change. Today would have been a good time to boo Chris Davis each time he swung for example- clear case of not trying.

Johnson was a respected leader in the clubhouse, exhibited great work ethic, and was a class act his entire time in Baltimore. I think I heard that he even attended a memorial service earlier in the day for the Oriole's employee who died of cancer.

Even now he still has nice things to say about Baltimore fans,

?I'm sure that the fans here will be supportive, and I wouldn't expect anything [less],? he said before their game Friday. ?They're great fans, and there's mutual respect.? - JJ

Clearly he is a guy worth booing as a visiting player. Well done O's fans. :ohlord:

Boos should be reserved for jerks like Arod or Ortiz. People who are both rivals and just genuinely annoying humans.

JJ has a bit of the Buckner effect in Bmore. I'm sure if we won the WS this year he would never be booed again, but last year and the 2012 playoffs still loom large. Still, he was a good guy and shouldn't be booed.

Archived