Embarrassed by Camden faithful- they boo Jim Johnson.

Rojo13

Why feel bad for him? He's a $10m "closer" who can't close. His club doesn't want him and are willing to pay his salary to get rid of him. He's David Justice for the A's.

Being class and stand-up guy doesn't matter. It's what you do on the mound in his case. He clearly shows he was a fluke in 2012 when O's really had to try to lose games and when the pressure got amped up in 2013 he fold like a cheap chair every time.

I really hope with some time to reconsider you amend or retract this, because it's ridiculous on several levels.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not at the game but on Fox they said there was a smattering of boos.

Who are these goons booing Johnson? Johnson was an Orioles draftee. He gave his heart and soul to us and saved 100 games over two years and wanted to still pitch here. WE traded him away. The boos are embarrassing.

Even if he had signed a FA deal with another team, I would say the boos were embarrassing but this is even worse.

It amazes me that because people spend $50 they think they can do whatever they want at a game and forget these people are human beings.

In my mind, boos are unacceptable except for 1) PED use 2) Off the field behavior (arrests) 3) Dogging it/lack of effort

Booing is not uncommon behavior from some people who are part of the "kick 'em when they're down" crowd. Nice. Enjoy the moment. One day these insecure charmers may be on the receiving end.

Why feel bad for him? He's a $10m "closer" who can't close. His club doesn't want him and are willing to pay his salary to get rid of him. He's David Justice for the A's.

Being class and stand-up guy doesn't matter. It's what you do on the mound in his case. He clearly shows he was a fluke in 2012 when O's really had to try to lose games and when the pressure got amped up in 2013 he fold like a cheap chair every time.

Oh man. See this stuff right here is why people don't like sports fans.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I clearly said when pressure got amped up in 2013. Getting 50 saves doesn't mean you a good closer. Pressure is coming in with a 1 run lead. You are good closer when you can shut it down with a 1 run lead. Something Johnson couldn't do last year. 8 of 9 blown saves were when he came in with a 1 run lead.

It's also those kinds of losses that causes problems for team morale.

He's out there in those circumstances because he's lost the plot.

Saving 100 games in two years does in fact mean you are a good closer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I'm not at the game but on Fox they said there was a smattering of boos.

Who are these goons booing Johnson? Johnson was an Orioles draftee. He gave his heart and soul to us and saved 100 games over two years and wanted to still pitch here. WE traded him away. The boos are embarrassing.

Even if he had signed a FA deal with another team, I would say the boos were embarrassing but this is even worse.

It amazes me that because people spend $50 they think they can do whatever they want at a game and forget these people are human beings.

In my mind, boos are unacceptable except for 1) PED use 2) Off the field behavior (arrests) 3) Dogging it/lack of effort

Agreed!!!!! I was at the game and told the people around me to stop booing him. Sad!!!!

Saving 100 games in two years does in fact mean you are a good closer.
I agree with the sentiment but who are the "people"?

By and large, sports fans are "what have you done for me lately" people. Obviously not all of them. I like JJ and respect him, but if he could have stayed with the O's by taking less money, and chose to leave for the money, I might be inclined to boo that decision.

Wow. Why so much hate?

You know at first when I heard about this "booing" thing I was mad. But then a day after while reading this thread I realize it may have been overblown. It's always best to get more intel to be sure. Crosscheck those facts while your at it too.

You know at first when I heard about this "booing" thing I was mad. But then a day after while reading this thread I realize it may have been overblown. It's always best to get more intel to be sure. Crosscheck those facts while your at it too.

Orioles fans are down playing the boos. It was noticable and inappropriate - imho

I personally don't have a problem booing opposing players. He's not one of ours anymore. I'd boo Brian Roberts if I was at a Yanks game. I think when they choose this profession they know what they're signing up for. I do have a problem booing anyone in the black and orange though (unless they wear plugs when they come up to bat).

To me part of being a fan is passion. Whether it be for your favorite team, your favorite driver or whatever. Part of that passion for me is cheering and booing. When I look at Jim Johnson I don't see 100 saves in 2 seasons, I see holding my breath whenever he came into a game. If I saw him on the street I'd shake his hand for what he did in and Orioles uniform but on the field he's not on my team.

Archived