MLB will suspend Machado for five games. Machado plans to appeal.

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O's lineup vs. Red Sox: Markakis RF Machado 3B Jones DH Davis 1B Cruz LF Hardy SS Lough CF Joseph C Flaherty 2B. Tillman RHP</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">June 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Donaldson is a punk

It looks like Joseph and his .100 average is our new starting catcher. Brillant.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whole image thing is BS.

We all know no Orioles fans will be thinking about his (Mannys) actions next year. And anyone else around baseball who does is just hanging on to something meaningless because they are mad he isn't one of them.

If this hangs over Mannys head for any period of time when fans are so quick to forget about PED users, then there's something wrong.

I don't see how I'd Manny charged the mound he probably doesn't get a suspension because he was being throw at. But because a bat leaves his hands on a swing and it ends up in the area of Donaldson, it's a suspension?

I wonder if Manny charging the mound would have led to an Abad suspension?

All well said.

Personally I think throwing a bat down 3rd base line without any clear cut evidence that it was intentional...and then having him suspended 5 games is certainly a bit much. Especially knowing that Abad got zippo for throwing at him not once, but twice. I mean, the ump after the first pitch should have said something. Not sure if people were paying attention, but Manny has had his knee thrown at during the series at least 4-5 times. And it wasn't pitchers "missing their spots".

Just asking, What did Donaldson do that makes you say that? Surely NOT the tag. Right?

Josh was acting like tool when he thought the ball was gone. Went foul then Perkins K's him and he gets mad.

He was 100% medically cleared to resume all baseball activities. There was no stipulation, that I am aware of, that said he had to be very careful with his knee.

As for his suspension, he should drop his appeal and just take his medicine. I don't think MLB will reduce it.

I don't think it'll be reduced either but I think the thinking is that an appeal ruling wouldn't come until after the Blue Jays series. IF this is the case then I for one am glad he will appeal. The Blue Jays games are the most important games we have in the near future.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado said wasn't aware no suspension for Adad and doesn't seem to care. Appealing so he can reduce days and help team</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

These sort of things are often, incorrectly, results orientated.

If the pitch had hit Machado and broken his knee, putting him out of action for the season and even adding some question marks over his career, then there would have been a clamour to have the offending pitcher banned for some time.

If the bat Machado threw had hit either someone causing serious injury, ditto.

As it is, the thrown bat is seen as the worse offence as it is more unusual and Manny is a high profile starlet in the game (and couples with the helmet hitting and squaring up to Donaldson incidents).

What should probably happen is they should focus on intent and the liklihood to cause significant injury, and if so - both offences (the pitch and the thrown bat) are equally dangerous.

Also a ban on 'games' is ridiculous really. Yes, it impacts Manny but if he was some AAA called up pinch-hitter, a 5 game ban may have little impact on the team or the player. Same if a starting pitcher gets a similar ban. Surely it would be better to ban for, say '2 major league series' to avoid any doubt.

As for the ban, I think he should just take it. At his age, a few days out of proceedings may actually help his development more anyway.

Incidently, in the UK football tends to hand bans out following serious incidents and clubs often appeal too. The thing is....quite often the bans are INCREASED at appeal (if the appeal was unjustified), so a bit more thought goes into the possible outcome. If in baseball everyone appeals, and when they do they almost always have the term reduced then appealing is a no-brainer

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Machado says he will appeal suspension, probably in person in New York next Thursday. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23OriolesTalk&src=hash">#OriolesTalk</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffCSN) <a href="

it's either healthy or it's not. I understand the point, but I'm not sure there should be precedent set that a player with a past injury is a "protected class".

Manny said as much himself. He said the knee is healthy and he doesn't even think about it anymore. I believe him on that especially if saying that "yeah, my knee problems were in the back of my mind" could, possibly, earn him some sympathy in some circles.

That being said, targeting his knee with a pitch because it was, relatively, recently surgically repaired and rehabbed, even if healthy now, doesn't at all sound to me out of the realm of possibility for a ticked off opposing team.

He's doing a really good job of controlling the running game. That has plenty of value. His average is likely to go up as he gets more reps. IMO.

Ugh. I don't agree. I think he is Buck's pet peeve with no hope of meaningful value. I think Clevenger and his bat should be working on whatever Buck feels he isn't good at the major league level.

Hundley had a few games and ....crickets.

Yeah, you should always appeal so the team can make preparations for your absence. You can always drop the appeal when you are ready to serve the games, if you think 5 games was fair. Personally, I would have suspended him for three games and think anything beyond five would have been excessive.

Archived