From Today's Callis Chat on ESPN

laxtonto

If a deal were on the table from the Cubs for Pie, Gallagher and anyone else for BRob, it would be done because it would put more pressure on the M's. We could act like Jones wasn't as necessary and other pieces were more important. It would make the acquisition of a Truinfel or Clement much more likely as the M's would have to feel that we could look to other teams with something other than a cf prospect as our top piece.

This makes me think the Cubs deal has to include something from the M's trade.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a deal were on the table from the Cubs for Pie, Gallagher and anyone else for BRob, it would be done because it would put more pressure on the M's.

How would dealing BRob increase the pressure on the Ms? It doesn't effect anything from the Ms pov.

We are re-building. That's what dealing BRob and Miggy are all about. How can we go part way toward rebuilding, but not deal our best part - Bedard? If anything, it increases the pressure on AM to finish dealing his pieces.

It puts pressure on the M's because we have added Pie, who plays the same position as the player they are offering for Bedard. It makes it look like we could easily go another direction, which we could. It makes including a Truinfel more likely. It makes them think they need to up their offer quickly because another team could jump in with a top piece that isn't a centerfielder.

Pie and Gallagher has no chance of happening, based off the very little inside chatter I get from the Cubs side. But I trust my source, and he's adamant that it wont happen based on a couple conversations...

Colvin may be on the table though.

Pie and Gallagher has no chance of happening, based off the very little inside chatter I get from the Cubs side. But I trust my source, and he's adamant that it wont happen based on a couple conversations...

You likely saw the comments someone posted regarding Sherrill possibly being included with Roberts.

How does that alter your perspective?

While I hope that it does happen, I'm not holding my breath. I agree that it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Cubs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

You likely saw the comments someone posted regarding Sherrill possibly being included with Roberts.

How does that alter your perspective?

Sorry - just saw your comments on that particular thread.

These conversations and threads are an absolute mess to keep up with :eek:

IMO I like Colvin far better than Pie!

I'd take Murton, Gallagher & Colvin or Gallagher, Colvin , & Veal in a second!!!

Keep the production in the LF. Platoon Scott & Murton between LF & DH. Way more homers than Pie. Or pick one to play everyday & move the other.

Get a real 1st Baseman Votto if possible for some of our slew of young pitching & move on!

Haven't we learned yet about putting a guy there out of position (Gibbons etc)

I just can't fathom the O's acquiring Pie and Gallagher for Roberts - let alone the possibility of another player on top. If there is any possibility of this happening I'm assuming there must be another player coming from the O's side. Sherrill? I don't know. I trust the Cubs fans here when they say that Sherrill is not something that they are in need for.

However, just to play along with the possibility...

Lets suppose that the Pie has indeed become available as part of a Roberts trade. As much as I LOVE the idea of a Jones/Pie/Markakis OF, do you think that the possibility of getting Pie for CF has made the O's push harder to try and extend Bedard. Maybe the O's feel that Pie and Jones would be redundant and would rather keep Bedard than Roberts?

I just can't believe all this Pie and Gallagher for Roberts talk, but if by some miracle it happens that we end up with Pie and Jones, my excitement would be off the charts.

I just can't fathom the O's acquiring Pie and Gallagher for Roberts - let alone the possibility of another player on top. If there is any possibility of this happening I'm assuming there must be another player coming from the O's side. Sherrill? I don't know. I trust the Cubs fans here when they say that Sherrill is not something that they are in need for.

However, just to play along with the possibility...

Lets suppose that the Pie has indeed become available as part of a Roberts trade. As much as I LOVE the idea of a Jones/Pie/Markakis OF, do you think that the possibility of getting Pie for CF has made the O's push harder to try and extend Bedard. Maybe the O's feel that Pie and Jones would be redundant and would rather keep Bedard than Roberts?

I just can't believe all this Pie and Gallagher for Roberts talk, but if by some miracle it happens that we end up with Pie and Jones, my excitement would be off the charts.

Again, while I keep hearing Pie isn't going in a Roberts deal, I could see Hendry developing some real interest in Liz.

Archived