Chris Davis should be getting more criticism

geimans35

Within a season no one is consistent IMO. I don't know if CD can repeat last year's numbers but I do expect him to produce at a level that will get him "big money". The test is will he be able to make the necessary adjustments to end up with good numbers by the season's end.

We'd have to define 'big money'. He's already making 10M. To me, 'big money' is 20M and up.

There are some who might want to pay him 'decent money' simply because he has the capability of putting up a .226/.335/.426 slash line and the season is nearing the half way point.

I have no idea how his season will end. Cruz will cool off and I hope CD gets red hot, that's no mystery.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is doing a pretty good Mark Reynolds impression this year.
Davis 28yo: .225/.335/.426   12.1%BB    30.4%KMark  28yo: .221/.335/.429   13.6%BB    29.6%K

The difference is Davis is struggling and Reynolds is pretty much playing his game. Davis should take better advantage of how he is being pitched instead of just trying to over power it. He could get a walk and an opposite field hit every game if he wanted to.

The difference is Davis is struggling and Reynolds is pretty much playing his game. Davis should take better advantage of how he is being pitched instead of just trying to over power it. He could get a walk and an opposite field hit every game if he wanted to.

I hope Davis and Reynolds are different. :confused:

Reynolds had a good year once.. .260/.349/.543, his career slash line is .232/.327/.462 and I didn't remove the 'good year'.

CD has a .262/.328/.505 career slash line and if you remove last season (.286/.370/.634), it's .254/.312/.461.

He has something to prove, just sayin'

He is doing a pretty good Mark Reynolds impression this year.
Davis 28yo: .225/.335/.426   12.1%BB    30.4%KMark  28yo: .221/.335/.429   13.6%BB    29.6%K

Wow, they are twins. Chris needs to layoff the inside balls-- fast balls and breaking stuff. It's tough for him. He's also missing some hittable fastballs, which is the worst thing. .185/.275/.370/.645 since he "fixed it" in Pittsburgh. He's definitely got some more work to do.

o

Perhaps Davis should get more criticism.

But he gets the OFFNY neon lights when he does well, also.

(vs. BLUE JAYS, June 14th)

NUMBER 11

o

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

CHRISTOPHER LYN DAVIS

I am a new poster to this forum so please be gentle. I am an Orioles fan, not like when I was growing up in the 80's but still love to watch them. To this point I've been more of a lurker instead of participating in chats. But I just have to say that I think Chris Davis is getting a free pass because of his great season last year. It's almost like you can't say anything bad about the guy or you'll get blasted for saying something. I don't know if he is injured or what but he just looks awful at the plate. I can't recall a player swinging at more pitches in the dirt and not even coming close to getting the bat on the ball. What happened to all those Hr's he hit to left field the last couple years? Everything is a pull to right into the shift. I just think he needs to be taking more of the blame this season. Yes the pitching goes into bad spurts but recovers somewhat. But besides the game in Pittsburgh I haven't seen any sign of him coming out of this bad season he's having. Your thoughts.

You can criticize him all you want. Maybe it will make you feel better. Maybe he is

due some criticism. He hasn't done as well as we all would like for whatever

reason. I think he will be better as will the team.

I am a new poster to this forum so please be gentle. I am an Orioles fan, not like when I was growing up in the 80's but still love to watch them. To this point I've been more of a lurker instead of participating in chats. But I just have to say that I think Chris Davis is getting a free pass because of his great season last year. It's almost like you can't say anything bad about the guy or you'll get blasted for saying something. I don't know if he is injured or what but he just looks awful at the plate. I can't recall a player swinging at more pitches in the dirt and not even coming close to getting the bat on the ball. What happened to all those Hr's he hit to left field the last couple years? Everything is a pull to right into the shift. I just think he needs to be taking more of the blame this season. Yes the pitching goes into bad spurts but recovers somewhat. But besides the game in Pittsburgh I haven't seen any sign of him coming out of this bad season he's having. Your thoughts.

We should start these types of theads more often.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think you are right, in the sense that Davis is probably one of the least criticized players here. I also agree that Davis is certainly not carrying the weight that he did last year. However, even with his slow start and short DL stint, he is miles ahead of JJ, Manny and Matty. Only Adam Jones compares favorably with Davis as to our strong Orioles following up on last year and I think you can add all the pitchers in as well to this point, only Chin would compare favorably.

That said I think your main point is that CD was one of the best hitters in the game last year and this year he is not and I think that is fair.

Having your first kid can be a distraction. Look at Markakis last season. His career OPS is around .830 hopefully he will be around that before too long.
Markakis and his wife, Christina, had their first child on March 11, 2009.[8] A baby boy, Taylor Jason Markakis, weighed in at 7 pounds, 1 ounce. Christina gave birth to the couple's second child, Tucker Edward, weighing in at 7 pounds, 1 ounce, on May 27, 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Markakis

What? Taking a day off? :cussing: Am I being critical enough? :scratchchinhmm:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Davis said buck giving him mental break. Not a physical issue</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What? Taking a day off? :cussing: Am I being critical enough? :scratchchinhmm:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Davis said buck giving him mental break. Not a physical issue</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is Pearce at 1st today and Young is in the lineup? If so, good for Buck, these kind of things should happen a little more often.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived