Chance Sisco...

EagleOriole

After a horrendous start, Mike Ohlman is hitting very well at Bowie. We'll see what Joseph can continue to bring. May not be great options, but the O's do at least have options to bridge between Wieters and if Sisco arrives.

Can Ohlman play catcher better than Clevenger? If not, I don't think he will be a fallback option. Unless we change managers of course.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can Ohlman play catcher better than Clevenger? If not, I don't think he will be a fallback option. Unless we change managers of course.

He's a got a stronger arm, but has some ways to go on many other aspects like game calling, working with his pitchers, and putting in the time to become better at those aspects of his defense. He's also has a long arm path that slows his times down to second. At the end of the day, defense is not his calling card and he's not close to the majors either offensively or defensively.

I'm just saying that I don't think we need to worry about the O's rushing Sisco up because of Wieters. Sisco is still too far away, and there are other internal options, not even including going outside of the organization. Ohlman/Joseph may not be great options, but after another year and a half of development, who knows, they may be respectable.

Last years draft is looking kind of nice now. If Cisco keeps it up he's going to crack a bunch of top 100 lists. Not bad for a guy BA didn't have in there top 500. His numbers really look that much better when you compare him to Yaz, Mancini, and Dosch because he's got a way better BB/SO ratio.

Sisco is leading the league in hitting after tonight at .342. 21 for his last 37 with 8 walks and 4 strikeouts.

That's reaching base 29 of his last 45 plate appearances. Tony Gwynn (RIP) would be impressed.

Chance had a very impressive night again last night. What is most impressive to me is his batting eye and patience. Most batters in this league are anxious free swingers. They try to teach patience here. Chance recognizes pitches, is very selective and is not hesitant to work the count. He drills singles and doubles, but is still too young and not yet fully developed to be a power hitter. That will come. His throwing arm is getting beer and better. He can be patient, wait to compose himself and then throw out most batters trying to steal. Last night a runner had a great jump on the pitcher and Chance almost nonchalantly threw him out by a step.

Also on defense, he shows good hustle Last night he almost made a sensational sliding catch of a low foul pop. On offense, he was 2 AB, 1 R, 2 H, 1 RBI with a walk and sac fly. He also made a slide tying to score t home that looked very much like he was safe from where I sit behind home. Not real bad night for all of dozen or so scouts to see.

Chance had a very impressive night again last night. What is most impressive to me is his batting eye and patience. Most batters in this league are anxious free swingers. They try to teach patience here. Chance recognizes pitches, is very selective and is not hesitant to work the count. He drills singles and doubles, but is still too young and not yet fully developed to be a power hitter. That will come. His throwing arm is getting beer and better. He can be patient, wait to compose himself and then throw out most batters trying to steal. Last night a runner had a great jump on the pitcher and Chance almost nonchalantly threw him out by a step.

Also on defense, he shows good hustle Last night he almost made a sensational sliding catch of a low foul pop. On offense, he was 2 AB, 1 R, 2 H, 1 RBI with a walk and sac fly. He also made a slide tying to score t home that looked very much like he was safe from where I sit behind home. Not real bad night for all of dozen or so scouts to see.

Thanks for the first-hand account. Keep it coming.

We have not had many HS bats perform like Sisco is doing. Really, in recent memory, only Machado has performed like this with an .859 OPS at Delmarva with .376 obp over 38 games before being promoted to Frederick. Manny carried 23 BBs and 16 xbh against 25 Ks there.

Cisco's .400+ obp is impressive and June was been superb. He might be a candidate for promotion if he keeps this up into mid-July, but learning his craft on defense is also very important (as noted above).

Clearly, Cisco is far out-performing his draft position and, whether a top 100 prospect or not (IMO, the top hitting HS prospect in the Sally league should generally be a top 100 prospect), is a very key prospect going forward.

Can he work on his defense a level higher? I know his catching skills will be a big part of his prospect status, so don't want to rush that part of it. But boy is he handling the bat! Exciting to see.

I'd like to see Sisco get promoted.

Checking on recent promotions from Delmarva, Yastremski had 19 BBs and 64 Ks in about 275 PAs with a slash line of 365/554/919/

Christian walker spent some time in Delmarva and hit to an 420/474/894 line with 16 Ks in about 125 PAs with 11 BBs and 8 xbh.

Sisco is at 412/473/885 with 21 xbh in about 265 PAs with a 23/49 BB/K ratio. Backing out a poor April, Sisco's BB/K ratio is 20/32 from May 1 on.

Sisco is much younger than Yastremski and Walker when they were at Delmarva and catching is a very important part of Sisco's prospect status. I know there are multiple variables that play into a promotion, but Sisco has been destroying Sally League pitching and if the bar for Sisco's promotion is set near where it was for Yaz and Walker, then Sisco should be promoted.

Archived