Sherrill to...Cubs?

BaltimoreTerp

I saw this mentioned in passing in another thread, but thought it was a very interesting point that I don't remember seeing discussed.

Could Sherrill be coming to us to be traded immediately to Chicago?

It does explain a few things.

-The reason the Chicago trade has been held up, as it supposedly has been.

-The reason we are insisting on a reliever from Seattle, especially a 30-year-old one.

-The sudden and surprising suggestion in rumors that we could be getting more then most people believed we were from the Cubs.

It makes a lot of sense, at least to me. A team like Chicago gunning for a championship now would want all the relief help it can get, and good lefty relievers can bring back good value (hence the suggestions that we should be trying to trade Walker). We could end up with extra pieces like both Cedeno and Patterson, or other prospects, by adding him in.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw this mentioned in passing in another thread, but thought it was a very interesting point that I don't remember seeing discussed.

Could Sherrill be coming to us to be traded immediately to Chicago?

It does explain a few things.

-The reason the Chicago trade has been held up, as it supposedly has been.

-The reason we are insisting on a reliever from Seattle, especially a 30-year-old one.

-The sudden and surprising suggestion in rumors that we could be getting more then most people believed we were from the Cubs.

It makes a lot of sense, at least to me. A team like Chicago gunning for a championship now would want all the relief help it can get, and good lefty relievers can bring back good value (hence the suggestions that we should be trying to trade Walker). We could end up with extra pieces like both Cedeno and Patterson, or other prospects, by adding him in.

Any thoughts?

This would actually make sense as to why we haven't done the Roberts to Chicago deal. In fact, its really the ONLY thing that makes sense as to why we haven't done the Roberts to Chicago deal! :D

It's a logical conclusion, which may or may not be right. I have no idea why the team wants Sherrill. The only useful reason is to flip him to another team. But given how hard it is to accomplish one trade, I'd rather just focus on prospects now instead of trying to spin Sherrill into more later. That is, unless AM has a specific landing spot for Sherrill in mind now. If he can immediately spin him, then that's great. Be it Chicago or someone else for other help (like say a MIer).

Its a great theory ...... I like it except for the Pie thing that I dont think makes any sense. I think Pie & Jones are the same piece. While Jones is compared to Tori Hunter ...Pie looks like Corey Patterson (not sure he'll even hit for Corey's avarage) I would love to see this speculated somewhere by a Cubs reporter. Also I would hope Payton or Millar or Gibbons or Huff is going also.

Patterson & Cedeno are really crap & I just want to believe we would take something like

Marshall, Gallagher, Veal & Colvin or something close to that.

Its a great theory ...... I like it except for the Pie thing that I dont think makes any sense. I think Pie & Jones are the same piece. While Jones is compared to Tori Hunter ...Pie looks like Corey Patterson (not sure he'll even hit for Corey's avarage) I would love to see this speculated somewhere by a Cubs reporter. Also I would hope Payton or Millar or Gibbons or Huff is going also.

Patterson & Cedeno are really crap & I just want to believe we would take something like

Since when is a 2b who hits .820+ in the minors crap? Do explain me that....

He might not be a top 50 prospect or anything special, but there's a reason he's in our top 3/4 prospects. To call him 'crap' is stupid. He's pretty good, not anyone who amazing, but way above crap.

Pie and Jones are not redundant. Put Jones in LF, Pie in CF, and then Scott at 1B/DH.

Colvin is extremely overrated. Doesn't know how to take a pitch. Veal has control problems and is going through alot off the field with his family and all.

I don't think we will get Pie from the Cubs but I'd love for that to happen. A Jones/Pie/Markakis outfield would be pretty nice.

Pie and Jones are not redundant. Put Jones in LF, Pie in CF, and then Scott at 1B/DH.

Colvin is extremely overrated. Doesn't know how to take a pitch. Veal has control problems and is going through alot off the field with his family and all.

I don't think we will get Pie from the Cubs but I'd love for that to happen. A Jones/Pie/Markakis outfield would be pretty nice.

Jones' value is in CF, not LF.

If the O's move Jones to LF they're making a huge mistake. The reason Grady Sizemore is so ****ing good is because he hits well and plays CF, somewhere most power hitters don't play.

Honestly if I'm the O's I'd take one or the other when it cames to Jones or Pie and then look to fill LF by other means. LF'ers grow on trees.

Jones' value is in CF, not LF.

If the O's move Jones to LF they're making a huge mistake. The reason Grady Sizemore is so ****ing good is because he hits well and plays CF, somewhere most power hitters don't play.

Honestly if I'm the O's I'd take one or the other when it cames to Jones or Pie and then look to fill LF by other means. LF'ers grow on trees.

They have been saying that for the past 5 years now. Looks like we aren't good farmers.

Jones value is a peak at CF but it will still be great for us in LF. Remember his Feilding in LF should add value to his warp.

I think it's important to remember that just because we trade for a player doesn't necessarily mean we're keeping him.

We get Pie and ship him to Seattle for Triunfel and...?

I feel like I am becoming a mad scientist.

We wind up sending off Bedard and BRob, and get Jones, Tillman, Butler, Gallagher, Murton, Triunfel and Chen.

As the O's Turn! ;)

Archived