Sherrill to...Cubs?

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs don't really need any bullpen help from anybody. From the right side, they already have Wood, Howry, Marmol, Wuertz, Dempster, and Lahey. From the left side, they have Eyre, Cotts, and Pignatiello. And that doesn't count our AAA starters that we could use in the pen.

The Cubs don't really need any bullpen help from anybody. From the right side, they already have Wood, Howry, Marmol, Wuertz, Dempster, and Lahey. From the left side, they have Eyre, Cotts, and Pignatiello. And that doesn't count our AAA starters that we could use in the pen.

I don't feel even remotely comfortable with any of those 3 lefties. To be honest I'm not as sold on the bullpen as everyone else seems to be.

Gotta agree w/BB here...we need 3-4 solid guys in the pen to give the starters confidence that their hard work will be rewarded. What happened with the rooks in the pen last year was hideous. Don't want to see that repeated. Ever.

Add Sherrill to the Cubs deal & get Marmol ...much younger & he will be around if the O's are any good in 8-10 years ...rather than a 38-40 year old worn out likely long gone relief pitcher.

I really think the rebuilding process that sound great we are moving Bedard & Roberts ages 28-30. Adding Scott 30 & Sherrill 30 ... Not sure I get it! Now someone here will tell me about the younger guys included & while I agree ... why not make them all younger.

Example Murton in LF ...Scott to SanDiego.... Marmol RP ... Walker to the Cubs Braves or someone else!

I don't feel even remotely comfortable with any of those 3 lefties. To be honest I'm not as sold on the bullpen as everyone else seems to be.

Eyre had a 0.81 ERA after the break. I'm willing to cut him some slack... and while I'm not huge on Cotts, I love Pignatiello.

And our top four righties out of the pen is probably about as good as it gets.

Eyre had a 0.81 ERA after the break. I'm willing to cut him some slack... and while I'm not huge on Cotts, I love Pignatiello.

And our top four righties out of the pen is probably about as good as it gets.

I watched every game and even though Eyre wasn't giving up runs, he didn't look nearly as good as he did in 2006. Not to mention he was mostly pitching in garbage time. He's getting up there in age as well. The rest of the bullpen has lots of questions marks to me. Can Marmol pitch like he did in 07? That's asking a lot. He needs to cut down on his walks. Keryy Wood is Kerry Wood. I like Howry and I think he'll ultimately win the closer job, but he'll turn 35 next season and relievers in their mid 30's aren't exactly the most predictable. He started out 2007 horrible but then turned it around. Can he continue to pitch like he did in the second half? I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had another consistent reliever. I'm not saying Sherrill, is necessarily that guy, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Honestly its a lefty for a righty... Surely as a Cubs fan & as usual Marmol is far superior to Sherrill :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised!

To be fair, Marmol was significantly better than Sherrill last year, pitched more innings with better peripherals, is younger, and under club control longer.

Marmol blows Sherrill out of the water.

Honestly its a lefty for a righty... Surely as a Cubs fan & as usual Marmol is far superior to Sherrill :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised!

Give me a break. Do you honestly not see the huge difference in value between Marmol and Sherrill? Seriously?

Really guys ...Its obvious Marmol pitched more innings .... Was he over used or was Sherrill under used? Either can only pitch when he asked to.

Beside I'm sure you'll agree each has only had 1 good season in the majors & they are both under team control for a significant period of time.

Bottom line if Mcphail made the reliever swop a must for the Roberts deal ...I think Hendry would do it even if you guys dont like it.

Bottom line if Mcphail made the reliever swop a must for the Roberts deal ...I think Hendry would do it even if you guys dont like it.

No. I can say with 100% confidence that there is no possible way Hendry would do that. That's just silly.

I'm not surprised!

You know I can totally understand SOME of the attitude toward a lot of the influx of Cub fans that have come to this board with irrational ideas and over the top love of Cub players and prospects which in turn try to down play Orioles value. But the constant automatic rolling of the eyes of any Cub fan giving an opinion is getting ridiculous. In a way automatically not crediting somebody with a different opinion on a Cub player is kind of the reverse thing your comment suggest toward the Cub fans. With that said of all the names thrown out even Hill I think Marmol is the least likely to be considered. I realize some don't value Marmol here because of the whole only a RP and I truly hate using this line, but this is one of those times when I will say most that comment about him probably don't realize how dominant and much of a life saver he was out of the pen last year. He lead the NL in stranded runners coming into games and I think this winter he went 14 IP 1 hit 1 walk with 22 k's. I think he's a baby K-Rod type talent so yeah although Sherill is great and a lefty he is 5 years older and Marmol is already better and his youth and upside surpass him. I think the recent rumor of Pie, Gally, and a prospect for B-Rob is step, but you get what you pay for and Pie is overrated anyway. I can understand any critique toward the Cubs farm, Rich Hill, or how some tend to think you can give up crap to get an all-star 2B, but the downplaying on Marmol to me is insane. He's lights out bottom-line

Neither is Kevin Youkilis but that doesn't seem to stop the Sox from kicking everyone's tails. Or the Yanks from kicking everyone's tails back when Soriano was *their* leadoff hitter.

Perhaps that's because "leadoff hitter" isn't a position.

Huh? When did I say that leadoff was a position? Seriously, I am not trying to pick a fight, but what the heck are you talking about?

Why not argue what makes a good leadoff hitter versus what doesn't and stay away from talking nonsense?

Oh and I'd take Roberts or Youk everyday of the week and twice on Sunday's over Soriano's worse than 4:1 k/bb ratio at leadoff. In fact, I can't think of anyone in the majors who hit leadoff last year that I would prefer Soriano to in that "position" as you like to refer to it as.

Archived