Zach Britton = Mariano Rivera?

Aristotelian

I know, it is early in the season, small sample, and Rivera is the greatest closer of all time...but hear me out:

Converted starter with one great pitch - fastball with modest velocity but extreme movement and command. As a fastball pitcher his stuff profiles well against both L/R. Consistently throws strikes and hits his spots. OK, so Zach's FB is more of a sinker while Mariano's is more of a cutter, and Mariano's command is better, but you get the point--their stuff and approaches are similar, and well suited to a bullpen role.

So far Zach is 9/10, the only blown save if memory serves was on the Lucroy swinging bunt. The Rays announcers were raving about his GB rate last night and like clockwork he got three straight grounders. When he comes in, I have confidence we are going to win - more so than even than 2012 JJ, Randy Myers, etc. The guy has given up exactly 3 earned runs all year--that's better than Greg Holland, I think maybe second only to Koji of guys with comparable IP.

Obviously I am being intentionally provocative, but can we at least agree that Zach has found his niche as a closer, he has established a high ceiling in that role, and for the forseeable future he is our closer?

I am surprised to still be seeing posts about turning him back into a starter. I would never rule anything out if circumstances change, but I don't see that as "plan A" for Zach's future. I was in the skeptical crowd when folks on this board were pushing for Zach over Tommy, but I am completely convinced now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zach's sinker comes in at an average of 95.5 MPH this season. On what planet is that modest velocity?

Many planets, moons, and minor and/or dwarf planets lack any substantial atmosphere, reducing drag to almost zero, and allowing pitchers to throw baseballs at a higher velocity than you can on Earth.

I just mean it is not an Aroldis Chapman/Goose Gossage type of fastball. Also, Fangraphs has it at 94.2, not sure where you are getting 95.5 from, although I would believe it.

Also looking at Fangraphs, his FB% is up to 91.9%, SL down to 8.1% and completely abandoned the change. If he is effective this way, does anyone really want him to go back to a traditional repertoire as a starter?

Many planets, moons, and minor and/or dwarf planets lack any substantial atmosphere, reducing drag to almost zero, and allowing pitchers to throw baseballs at a higher velocity than you can on Earth.

They would need a breathable atmosphere for the pitcher to be able to throw the ball unhindered.

I just mean it is not an Aroldis Chapman/Goose Gossage type of fastball. Also, Fangraphs has it at 94.2, not sure where you are getting 95.5 from, although I would believe it.

Also looking at Fangraphs, his FB% is up to 91.9%, SL down to 8.1% and completely abandoned the change. If he is effective this way, does anyone really want him to go back to a traditional repertoire as a starter?

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502154&time=month&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=06/18/2014&s_type=2

I don't think Goose threw much harder then 95.5 average.

Wasn't his changeup effective when he first came up? I wonder if he'll give it a try again at some point.

My memories as a kid of Goose are of some kind of superhuman laser pitch. Pretty sure he was consistently 98-101 in his prime. Anyway, this is about Zach.

In Weaver On Strategy Earl makes a big deal about Sammy Stewart hitting 92 on the radar gun. Guys just didn't throw as hard back then.

Anyway, yea, Zack throws pretty hard even by current reliever standards and no they shouldn't more him out of the bullpen.

I don't care how good your best pitch is, it will lose effectiveness if everyone knows it is coming.

Not by very much in his case. When it's executed, it's a pretty devastating pitch to try and hit. Knowing it's coming or not. You hit it, it's going into the ground. Bigger problem is losing his release point/consistency and not having a secondary to fall back on. I always thought this is something Jim Johnson had in his back pocket and did well with in his first 50 save season.

Archived